Tell me more about 6.5x280ai

nksmfamjp

Looking at having a barrel chambered in this for my Bighorn Origin LA that I have on order.

Sounds like dies will be 280AI type S dies converted to this by changing bushing and expander??

What about reloading data? What has worked for you? I'm thinking about using the Berger 156gr EH...or maybe one of several 140's.

So, that gets to the real point of this post, I think. Who should do the barrel work? Who has the reamer? How much freebore do I want? Do I just start by making a dummy round, or finding a gunsmith....ideally with this reamer and experience with the longer bullets. I'd like to supply the barrel unless they have one of a couple barrel makers on hand.

Thoughts or experiences with this round?

The Sherman is great, but I don't need the velocity....might go that way, if this becomes much struggle.

The Sherman is great, but I don't need the velocity....might go that way, if this becomes much struggle.
It shouldn't be much trouble going 6.5x280ai, you'll just need to get a reamer. Might check with a few rental companies, or order one from PTG and send them a dummy round throated for the 156 eol.
The dies will be just as you described, id use two bushings to size down initially.

The easiest solution if you're not opposed to putting a magnum bolt head on your origin, would be to go 6.5 saum.
Its the same case capacity and is incredibly accurate with factory brass from ADG and Bertram.
I've had excellent success with mine.
I'd avoid messing with a Sherman at all cost, I've been there and the hassle of fire forming isn't worth it.
Plus you're stuck with over priced crappy Hornady dies

It shouldn't be much trouble going 6.5x280ai, you'll just need to get a reamer. Might check with a few rental companies, or order one from PTG and send them a dummy round throated for the 156 eol.
The dies will be just as you described, id use two bushings to size down initially.

The easiest solution if you're not opposed to putting a magnum bolt head on your origin, would be to go 6.5 saum.
Its the same case capacity and is incredibly accurate with factory brass from ADG and Bertram.
I've had excellent success with mine.
I'd avoid messing with a Sherman at all cost, I've been there and the hassle of fire forming isn't worth it.
Sherman uses ADG brass and no fire forming necessary anymore with the saum parent cases.
6.5 Sherman on the 270 parent does need forming.

Does Whidden no longer offer 6.5 Sherman dies? That's the set I use and they're awesome.

If you're already going through the process of necking down to .264, I don't feel the Sherman is problematic at all. My forming loads have been plenty accurate, or you could fire-form with COW.

Id recommend checking with LongRifles Inc for chambering. I don't see the 6.5 -280 AI reamer in their online inventory, but it's worth calling them. They do excellent and quick work!

Last edited:
Sherman uses ADG brass and no fire forming necessary anymore with the saum parent cases.
6.5 Sherman on the 270 parent does need forming.
Wow ADG offers factory Sherman brass now?
That'd be a big help, the 6.5 saum is already so fast I just never saw the point in improving it, except less brass trimming would be nice

Does Whidden no longer offer 6.5 Sherman dies? That's the set I use and they're awesome.

If you're already going through the process of necking down to .264, I don't feel the Sherman is problematic at all. My forming loads have been plenty accurate, or you could fire-form with COW.

Id recommend checking with LongRifles Inc for chambering. I don't see the 6.5 -280 AI reamer in their online inventory, but it's worth calling them. They do excellent and quick work!
Necking down is way easier than fire forming.
You have to waste a bunch of time and scarce components on very reduced loads, and when your cases are formed you have to waste more time and resources developing final loads.
In todays unsteady supply environment this is a total deal breaker for me..
I just don't see the point when factory brass is available for the 6.5 saum ready to shoot

Necking down is way easier than fire forming.
You have to waste a bunch of time and scarce components on very reduced loads, and when your cases are formed you have to waste more time and resources developing final loads.
In todays unsteady supply environment this is a total deal breaker for me..
I just don't see the point when factory brass is available for the 6.5 saum ready to shoot

I'm with you there - factory brass ready to go is definitely a convenience. Personally, I don't find forming 6.5 Sherman brass a problem at all, but if you're short on components, maybe that's a different story. For what it's worth, I'd have done the 6.5 Max (pre-formed ADG) if it was available 5 years ago, but my 6.5 Sherman does the job just fine for now.

Back to the OP - you could also try Straight Jacket Armory to chamber (assuming they have the reamer), but last I heard, they are getting pretty backed up on their work.

Looking at having a barrel chambered in this for my Bighorn Origin LA that I have on order.

Sounds like dies will be 280AI type S dies converted to this by changing bushing and expander??

What about reloading data? What has worked for you? I'm thinking about using the Berger 156gr EH...or maybe one of several 140's.

So, that gets to the real point of this post, I think. Who should do the barrel work? Who has the reamer? How much freebore do I want? Do I just start by making a dummy round, or finding a gunsmith....ideally with this reamer and experience with the longer bullets. I'd like to supply the barrel unless they have one of a couple barrel makers on hand.

Thoughts or experiences with this round?
You might want to give West Texas Ordnance a call as they chamber 6.5x280AI. See their website for details regarding the cartridge. I haven't used them for a rifle build, but Clayton and WTO are highly recommended by a number of folks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.