Who uses 6.5 Creedmoor for LR hunting?>

Litehiker

I have two Ruger rifles in 6.5 CM, a target Ruger Precision Rifle and a hunting Ruger American Predator.

I'm "upgrading" the Predator with a Boyd's laminated stock, Timney trigger and a nice SWFA 5-14 x 42 scope (FFP, mil/mil and parallax/focus knob).

I think it's fine for mule deer and probably a bit marginal for elk.

Anyone here shot an elk with this 6.5 CM cartridge? (I realize a 6.5/284 or similar would be "kinda adequate" for elk, with the greater velocity & energy on target.)

I have a Browning A-Bolt in .300 Win mag but it's a heavy sucker. But If I draw an elk tag in Nevada's lottery I may use it.

I'm really liking the flat shooting 6.5 CM on range days. Easy hits on steel to 850 meters. And My Ruger Precision Rifle is a tack driver but far too heavy for all but stand hunting.

I have not yet but am building an ultra light one with Pierce and would not hesitate to use it. If you know you can hit were you want go for it. I know guys that use .243 for elk no problem also .308 and 6.5 was designed to beat the .308 everywhere. Not sure that happened but I always say it's so close if you would use a .308 you can use a 6.5 creed and vise versa.

I have shot or been part of shooting several elk with 6.5 cal rifles. I think that the definition of long range comes into play here as well as what bullet to be used. Gonna be lots of opinions on this. Look at your retained vel and energy and make your own decision as to the limits of range. IMO 4-5 hundred yards for elk and 6-8 hundred yards for deer would be the limit for the creed.

The Ruger American rifles shoot surprisingly well don't they? We got one for testing bullets in the creed as well as a couple others. All shot great with no changes to the factory platform. Never would have thought by looking at them.

Steve

For me the ballistic calculator has mine at 1800FPS at 700 yards. To give myself a little bit of a cusion to ensure good expansion, I'm calling 600 the maximum for me.

I have shot or been part of shooting several elk with 6.5 cal rifles. I think that the definition of long range comes into play here as well as what bullet to be used. Gonna be lots of opinions on this. Look at your retained vel and energy and make your own decision as to the limits of range. IMO 4-5 hundred yards for elk and 6-8 hundred yards for deer would be the limit for the creed.

The Ruger American rifles shoot surprisingly well don't they? We got one for testing bullets in the creed as well as a couple others. All shot great with no changes to the factory platform. Never would have thought by looking at them.

Steve

Right on all points range and rifles.

The 6.5 Creedmoor will do fine with Elk.... you should be good to go out to 4-500 if the necessary energy is still there with the bullet you choose. Here is an article you might like.
News

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.