Who still shoots the old 06

A lot of people say the 308 can basically do what the 3006 can do. I have 2 308s and like them but I beg to differ. My 26" barreled 308 gets the velocity up pretty good but the 30-06 can cruise along and do the same with a 24 or even 22 inch barrel. You have to really run the 308 hard to get it close. Theres a bit more versatility in the 06 and I have shot several 06's that were tack drivers. Not trying to take away from the 308, I love mine, but the 06 has a little more gas in the tank if you need it and works with a bit shorter barrel.

For many years I didn't have one . Then I thought what the heck . Brass was easily found so had one put together with a longer then normal barrel length . Settled on a 5.5 contour Hart bbl 1/10 twist ss, 27.25 inch's long ,had a brake installed and it's been a blast to shoot,but the Kipplinger set trigger was worth it also . To me a 22 inch bbl is too short a 24 should be standard on the 06 & 270 wcf. Got a 28 pipe on a 308 it's heavier and made for target shooting it shines with the 125's & 155's, tops out with 190's , yes the old 06 is plenty good, how sharp-eyed is the shooter can we give Annie-Okely a run for the ging? . Cheers 🥳😆

For many years I didn't have one . Then I thought what the heck . Brass was easily found so had one put together with a longer then normal barrel length . Settled on a 5.5 contour Hart bbl 1/10 twist ss, 27.25 inch's long ,had a brake installed and it's been a blast to shoot,but the Kipplinger set trigger was worth it also . To me a 22 inch bbl is too short a 24 should be standard on the 06 & 270 wcf. Got a 28 pipe on a 308 it's heavier and made for target shooting it shines with the 125's & 155's, tops out with 190's , yes the old 06 is plenty good, how sharp-eyed is the shooter can we give Annie-Okely a run for the ging? . Cheers 🥳😆
I'm with you. I don't care much for short barrels on the 06 or 270 either. And on many other calibers as well.

I'm with you. I don't care much for short barrels on the 06 or 270 either. And on many other calibers as well.
LOL! My .270 AI has a 30" Lilja 3G 1:8" #6 specifically built to propel the 165/175 Matrix VLDs.
.270 AI atop the mountain.jpg

Here is the latest one. Remington 700 blueprinted action, Timney trigger, carbon stock. Took a gamble on this one. Was considered "new old stock" as this was one that was built after Remington went out of business. I added the scope and the trigger. That is what I can handle.. Stocks, trigger and scope HAHA. Elementary as to what some of you do.
Rem.jpg

I had one more deer to put in the freezer for the year and with the weather moving in, the deer were filing into my field yesterday afternoon. The 30-06 was near the front of the safe and was pulled out. A 168 grain Berger @ about 130 yards and it was lights out for the big doe. Pretty predictable for the Ole '06 !