Who shoots 140gr bullets out of a 280 Ackley?

Hey John K, sorry it took so long to get back to you. I would be afraid to give you my load because it was a custom chamber job in those days, built on my 721 Rem by a gunsmith named Bill Leeper. It was a warm load that would give me about 4 to 5 loadings before the primer pockets in the Win, .270 cases became loose. I never had any other problems except when the custom RCBS dies I purchased eventually bulged or something and I couldn't extract cases anymore. The rifle is now a 6.5/06 and the Hart barrel is on a Mohawk and chambered for 7-08.

H4831 is a perfect powder in the 280 AI, so look for powders in that burn rate if you don't have it. Also, RL23 really shines in this cartridge for every bullet weight.
I shoot 3 different bullets in my 1:9 twist, 24" barrel.
The 143 Hammer Hunter at 3250 fps with RL23
The 140 Absolute Hammer at 3400 fps with HV100
And, the 150 LRAB at 3105 fps with H4831

Hey John K, sorry it took so long to get back to you. I would be afraid to give you my load because it was a custom chamber job in those days, built on my 721 Rem by a gunsmith named Bill Leeper. It was a warm load that would give me about 4 to 5 loadings before the primer pockets in the Win, .270 cases became loose. I never had any other problems except when the custom RCBS dies I purchased eventually bulged or something and I couldn't extract cases anymore. The rifle is now a 6.5/06 and the Hart barrel is on a Mohawk and chambered for 7-08.
Thanks. I understand. I always start a few grains lower and inch up looking for red flags knowing each rifle set up is different. Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.