.280 Ackley Shooters

G

Thinking seriously about building one, but would really appreciate your PRO's & CON's experiences. Thank you for your insight!!!!

Nighthunter: Steve Tim published a good article in Varmint Hunter Magazine a few year ago discussing the .280 AIs that he has owned over the years. If you are interested, e-mail your fax number or mailing address and I will get you a copy.

Robert

Click search and enter my member number in the member nunber box and click enter. You will fing a post called .280 vs.30-06. There is some good discussion there on the topic. You will see that I ran some numbers that were pretty nice for a round that kicks less than a 7mm mag.

The feeding problem that Jerry Teo mentions below is the only real negative I have heard about. I cant imagine that something cant be done to the mag lips or the bbl breech to fix the problem.

You might also be interested in the .280 RCBS. It is also an improved case as opposed to a wildcat so factory ammo can be loaded and shot to fire form the case but I believe the shoulder is less harsh to reduce the feed problem. (double check me on all this though.)

[ 07-08-2004: Message edited by: 4ked Horn ]

I have found both my 6.5-06AI and my 280AI to be superbly acurate and easy to find great loads for each. I have more AI's in my future,...the next will be a 220swiftAI!!

H4831sc and RL22 with 150 and 160gr pills shoots in the .25moa range out of my 280ai.

good luck,..and enjoy.

The only possible problem is in the feeding. I played with a Gibbs and love it. Only problem is that the sharp shoulder wouldn't feed in some actions. Push feed and Mauser actions don't seem to mind.

Otherwise the 280AI and its other variants work very well.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.