Who makes the best action?

"None of us 'assume' this as it's ridiculous to think that we all make our own actions inhouse. I've made both actions and barrels in shops set up specifically for those products and I can assure you that I don't have the money or desire to make either of those products in my shops. The manufacturers who specialize in those products can make money by being niche oriented.

Exactly.

[QUOTE="SidecarFlip, post: 1751225, member: 39764"]"None of us 'assume' this as it's ridiculous to think that we all make our own actions inhouse. I've made both actions and barrels in shops set up specifically for those products and I can assure you that I don't have the money or desire to make either of those products in my shops. The manufacturers who specialize in those products can make money by being niche oriented.

Exactly.[/QUOTE]

Seems as though some do (as evidenced by this thread).

Best-Rifle-Action.png

This chart is from 2017 and I know they haven't gained anything in 2018 and probably lost some ground as they have been for the last few years since they were bought out.

They are also not the only makers to use the integral rail either. It has become a staple in the tactical-type matches and even the F-class matches and many more competitions, I'm sure.

I take nothing away from the actions themselves, I've used and will continue to use Surgeon actions for builds.

Regards.

I've seen some of those builders in their shop, on the bench, being readied for shipment.

Again, not for me to say who but I can assure you I have seen them, maybe one, maybe more than one.

The 700 action has to be the most copied (and improved upon) action ever made.

You've taken my original post out of context. I was answering the question:

Who makes the best action?

I showed the bar graph which explained what the most popular actions were which saw use on the PRS circuit. My answer had nothing to do with my opinion OR who made those actions, just the seller of record by brand.

Stiller actions have been featuring PT&G one-piece bolts which keeps Stiller from reinventing the wheel. That is until PT&G fell behind in bolt making which held up Stiller's commitments to buyers.

Acting and suggesting that you have a secret proves absolutely nothing.

Not a secret at all, just an observation on my part as I do business with them (build rifles for me). I'm of the mind that if it's laying there and I see a brand name on it, all well and good but again, none of my business to divulge what I saw so I won't. I will say they build an excellent action and assemble very accurate rifles, I have a couple.

Not a cheap date by a long shot but then high quality stuff usually isn't.

Far as I'm concerned, they make the best action and assemble the best sticks too.

In reality the question of 'Who makes the best action' is very subjective and all hinges on the end user's opinion.

John Pierce is a Grand Master F Class shooter btw. He knows his rifles extremely well.

This is kinda strange.I have used many differant actions over the past 40 years. And the rem 700 is the most reliable action.Many of the after market actions are clones of the 700. I used a borden action for the first time on my last build.Which is a 338 edge with a 30 inch douglas tube. This build is one of the most accurate builds i have done.The borden action is very square and smooth and tight.maybe alittle tight for hunting but it does work great.so borden gets my vote.

I have been looking at actions for a new rifle. My experience is limited to the two I own
one is a Lone Peak Fuzion stainless .The other is a Surgeon 1086 and to tell the truth they seem pretty much equal? The MSRP is within $50.00 on them.After you pass a certain price point are they all about the same? Or does one brand really stand out above the others? Thanks!
Go with a good action, Winchester pre64 mod70

IMO. It's very har to Beat bat and Borden. I've never owned a Borden but I'd like to. It's on my list. And honestly for $1330 the defiance deviant is very hard to beat. I don't think there is anything wrong with Stiller surgeon ptg pierce bighorn Curtis Lawton etc. The bottom line is that now a days you still get what you pay for but with the machinery used in this day and age the tolerances and consistently is superb.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.