Whitch Barrel for 300 win mountain rifle.

porkchop401

I am planning a build on a left hand M700 (70's vintage) and my caliber of choice is the 300wm. I am looking for a scoped rifle that weighs 8-8.5lbs . What contour and length do you fellas suggest in a barrel. I realize the rifle I am describing is basically a sporter rifle . I have heavy barrel guns for extreme range . this rifle will be a 4-500 yd and under gun for long walks. I am leaning towards a Remington sporter contour 24" thanks Mike

I have .280 Mtn rifle. Barrel whip is an issue for accuracy in field conditions and wish I had enough barrel to add a brake.

I did a lot of work on a lightweight custom 300 Win mag last year. Had a stiller action and a 22" Hart #3 contour, fluted with a mini mag muscle brake from Ryan. Rifle weighed an even 8 lbs with a Swaro 4-12 mounted. Barrel was EXTREMELY easy to clean but load work up took longer than usual for a 300 Win. We prevailed in the end however and the rifle went on a successful hunt to Tajikistan last fall where the owner took a marco polo, an ibex and an afghan urial.

for a fully outfitted rifle in the 8-8.5lb range I would go with a 25" #3 fluted. And you'll need something like an Edge fill McMillan or Manners Elite Hunter and Talley rings to keep the weight down as well.

For a reference point, I have a 300 wm with a Hart 26" #4 fluted, Edge fill Mcm A3 and without a scope it weighs in right at 8 lbs. I have the LOP at 14.1", so a standard 13.5" LOP in a more sleek hunting profile stock would drop about a 1/4 lb.

porkchop401,

I just finished several .300 Win. Mags in lightweight configurations. The stocks used were either the Manners MCS-EH1, EH3 or one of the McMillan Edge variants. The reamer I used for these was required to handle the longer 190/210 grain bullets. However, you can just as easily use the shorter/lighter bullets as long as you pay close attention to the concentricity of your loads.

The barrels I used were all Bartlein #3 in the 5R rifling. The length ran from 24" to 26" with a couple being 25". I didn't flute any of these since the weight was right in your area and wasn't necessary. A couple called for DBM bottom metal but in alloy there isn't any real weigh problem.

They were finished up with alloy rails and rings suited to the clients choice of scopes.

With Remington actions or similar design without extra doo-dads you will be right on your weight. Defiance Machine makes a 'Sheep Action' which is light like the 700 but for a real surprise, order a Titanium action and have fun!

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.