300 Win Barrel

Nomad

Plan on buying a new barrel for the 300 Win the question
is how long to go to get the most burn out of powders and
best possible ranges have shoot past 1000 yds many times
at different matches as well as hunt with this rifle. Thanks

I'm a big fan of the 5R rifled barrels one of the main reasons was a 300 mag chambered in an Obermeyer barrel , it shot/Shoots very well and is pretty fast. As for the length , well that more depends on the weight and size of the gun your willing to deal with. You get a 30" barrle with a 5" shank and you can shoot it a couple thousand times , chop off 3" and rechamber and basicaly have a brand new barrel.

You will get all the good out of the 300 win case with a 26" barrel though any extra length after this is only going to add marginal velocity gain.
a 1-10 barrel will aloow you to shoot bullets up to the 220gr Sierra Match kings maybe the 240's with some of the reports I've heard.

Plan on buying a new barrel for the 300 Win the question
is how long to go to get the most burn out of powders and
best possible ranges have shoot past 1000 yds many times
at different matches as well as hunt with this rifle. Thanks
26"-28" would be preferred to get the highest velocity,with a 1-10" twist,4-5-6 grooves ,all seem to work well with 'cut' rifling.My rifle has 4 grooves. :D
MagnumManiac
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.