Which twist for .22-250 barrel

outdoorfan

I've decided to switch barrels on my Savage .308. I'm getting a .22-250 barrel to replace it, but I'm not totally sure which twist to get it in. My primary goal with this setup will be to lauch 75-80 grainers. I know a 1-8 twist works great on the .223, but will the same hold true for the .22-250, or does it need a 1-9? I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks.

hello outdoorfan,I just put a 1-8 shilen on my 22-250 lrpv and it shoots the 80gr bergers great.I wish I could inform you on the 1-9 but have no experience with that twist.My friend bought a 1-9 twist 22-250 lrpv.To make a long story short,we shot a lot of 69-75 gr bullets in the gun just to find it was a 1-12 twist with 1-9 stamped on the barrel.The store he bought the gun from ordered him a new one and told him that they would deal with savage on the barrel screw up.He wants to shoot the 75gr bullets in his 1-9 and I would think it should handle them fine.I know the stock 22-250 lrpv that did so well in last years VHA jamboree was a 1-9 twist and was shooting the 77gr smk's.

Ok, thanks for the reply. It sounds like it could go either way. There just aren't as many people shooting this cartridge in a fast twist to get a good sampling from. I'm quite positive the 1-8 is best for this bullet weight in the .223, but perhaps the extra velocity of the .22-250 only needs 1-9 to stabilize the bullet.

Maybe someone else can chime in also.

I have a 22-250ai with a 8 twist shooting 75-80gr bullets. Go with a 8 twist you wont be sorry.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts