Which Bullet for 22-250

Cordell

I need some help picking a bullet for use in my Rem 22-250. I have a Remington 700 SPS with 24 inch barrel. It is the standard weight not the varmint model.

I have been using Sierra 52 gr MK's, since i had a few boxes of them. I will use this gun for Coyotes, ground squirrels and any other varmint i can get in the cross hairs.

I have been trying to decide on the 50 Gr V-max or the 55 Gr V-max as my all around, one bullet choice for this gun/round.

Any info to help me make up my mind would be GREAT.
Thanks for your time.

You might look at Sierra 60 gr. HP I've used them in my Rem & Wby .22-250 over the years, an they work great on Yote's. Not many walk away with a good hit.

I have some 60 Gr HP' from Sierra that I load for my AR. I have a 1-14 twist in the 22-250, and have been told it will not stabilize a 60 gr bullet, but i have never tried it.

What twist do you have and what kind of groups are you getting?

True..... but I need to get the 22-250 tuned up so if I ever see a coyote next season I can blast it before you get it with your 243 WSM. lol gun)

I have some 60 Gr HP' from Sierra that I load for my AR. I have a 1-14 twist in the 22-250, and have been told it will not stabilize a 60 gr bullet, but i have never tried it.

Nosler told me the 1:14 twist would stabilize their 60 gr. Partition. I have not tried it. Might call Sierra, I hear they are a pretty good source of info.

Festus

My favorite bullet for my 22-250 is the 55gr. Nosler BT. If is explosive enough for the lighter vermin, yet just tough enough for the bigger TOO's that might come along. Shoots lights out too. I also use Ramshot Big Bame powder to send it along it's way. A really GOOD combo for me.

Jim

Cordell,
I've tried to use the Nosler 60gr Partition in my .224 Wby Varmint-master which has a 1-14 twist 26" inch barrel... No dice... they just don't shoot in my rifles... I also have a Remington M760 {1960's} which has a 1-14 twist'…., they won't shoot in it either. Now on the other hand the Sierra 60 gr'ers shoot just fine... it being a HP flat base much like; the old Speer design which may have something too do with it. In order to get the Nosler's to shoot too varmint accuracy, I had to move to a 1-12 twist or faster; taken into account the Nosler 60gr partition was made for hunting not as a varmint round. The Nosler 60gr Partition is a very good bullet... I hammered a nice white tail buck in Idaho with one a few years back, using an AR15 with a 1-9 twist; it did a super job on him at just under 300 yards. Saw him near a fence line and picked him up where he was hit.
On the other end the Sierra 60gr Varmint seem to shoot in everything... and quite well I might add....
Good luck.

Try the 55 gr sierra blitz king it is greatly accurate and really does a number on coyotes. In fact I put one right in a poor coyotes ear hole last week at 290 yards I have never seen a dog hit the dirt so fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts