Remington 22-250 Barrel Twist

What's the max range you find effective on bunnies with that 55gr HPBT load? TIA
I have shot out to 400 on p-dogs with wind and although we weren't hitting them with any regularity it was a blast. You can see thru the scope the whole way to bullet splash. Wind is not friendly on the little Sierra.
My buddy has hit one at 750 but I'm guessing there was a complete star alignment in the heavens for that shot. He did it once....

9 twist works out well for 53 Vmax's to various 65's, 68's & 69's and is a good general compromise. These bullets will cover most situations. In a 9 twist the 53 Vmax is my favorite for small rodents to 400 yards plus and the 65, 68-69 grain bullets for targets & bigger varmints. No problems with blowups - ever and 1/2 moa or better accuracy

My .22-.250's have 7.7 twists and I shoot mostly 75 Hornady ELDM's or Berger 75 VLD's and these rival many 6mm's with 10 grains less powder and $10 less cost per 100. Successful use on all types of rodents and coyotes with longest hits at 1/2 section, about 800 yards.

9 twist works out well for 53 Vmax's to various 65's, 68's & 69's and is a good general compromise. These bullets will cover most situations. In a 9 twist the 53 Vmax is my favorite for small rodents to 400 yards plus and the 65, 68-69 grain bullets for targets & bigger varmints. No problems with blowups - ever and 1/2 moa or better accuracy

My .22-.250's have 7.7 twists and I shoot mostly 75 Hornady ELDM's or Berger 75 VLD's and these rival many 6mm's with 10 grains less powder and $10 less cost per 100. Successful use on all types of rodents and coyotes with longest hits at 1/2 section, about 800 yards.
This probably is the ideal improvement. Still shoot light and heavies, opens up all kinds of possibilities. The 22-250 can be made to do way better than the plain vanilla production guns.

.22-.250 - most favored rifle in my modest weaponry.

I remember the last shot I took out of my 9 twist .22-.250 at a real big reddish colored prairie dog at about 275 yards with a 53 VMax at about 3700. I held right on the top of its head and hit about 1-2 inches under having zeroed in 1 inch high at 200. I just might get another 9 twist .22-.250 barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.