Remington 22-250 Barrel Twist

I haven't shot in sub-zero temps. I HAVE shot between 40* and 105*+. In the 105*+ conditions, I was getting faint ejector marks on the Winchester brass I was using. No detectable shift in POI in the field, while shooting prairie dogs from 200 yards to 700+ yards.

For the sake of curiosity, I plan to experiment with RL-16, which is very temp stable. It is quite a bit bulkier than RL-17, so I don't know if it will work or not.

I haven't experienced the temp issues that others have reported with RL-17. Not sure if my lack of issues with its use are related to the applications in which I am using it, or the field conditions I am seeing. I use it in multiple cartridges and have been very happy with the results.

My ears can't stand loud noises, and even one shot while hunting will have them ringing for days.
Sorry for hijacking the thread but my hearing damage is pretty severe from the military and training LEO's. So now even for just mowing the lawn or hammering nails I wear ear plugs and electronic ear muffs. That way I have hearing protection and with the volume turned up I can hear what's going on. Without the ear plugs the electronic muffs cause ringing.

Remington will have a 14 twist, iv shot 60,62 bergers in 14t for years, the new ruger American has a 10t iv run up to 70gr accubond in them!

Last edited:
So I'm shopping for a Rem 22-250. I picked up an 8lb jug of Varget this week and ordered 200 rounds of 22-250 Lapua brass. I'm looking at shooting a 50 - 60 grain bullet. Wanting some thoughts on what twist I should be looking at.
My 1-14" is older but it won't even shoot 50 gr zmax's, they keyholed. Not much shoots very well that is tipped and boat tailed. It will shoot some flat base 55gr like the Berger 55gr Match Target Flat base. In a last ditch effort I bought some 55 gr vmax's which are flat base and they didn't shoot well. About 2 inch groups at 100 yards. Get a 1-12" if you can. IMO you'll save yourself some heartache.

My 1-14" is older but it won't even shoot 50 gr zmax's, they keyholed. Not much shoots very well that is tipped and boat tailed. It will shoot some flat base 55gr like the Berger 55gr Match Target Flat base. In a last ditch effort I bought some 55 gr vmax's which are flat base and they didn't shoot well. About 2 inch groups at 100 yards. Get a 1-12" if you can. IMO you'll save yourself some heartache.
you must be at a real low eleavation, im at 1000 ft run 50,55gr nosler btips, 55 sierra gamekings, just about run them all in 15/20 different 14t swifts and 250s in the last 35 years never had a stablitiy problem.

I have R700 26" heavy varmint contour. It has a 14T barrel. It shoots 55 gr Sierra HPBT very well. Has a ton of free bore but cannot take advantage of that for longer heavy bullets. If it just had that faster twist barrel, it would just create a whole bunch of opportunities for this rifle. I believe this is the original "wow" factor for speed with little flat base 40 grain bullets designed so many decades ago. Like many other calibers that have not changed since their original decades old release, there needs to be updates no manufacturer is really interested in.

Have a Howa 1500 22-250 with a 20" barrel, 1:12 twist. I worked up a hand load with 50gr SP and it is an absolute tack driver and hammer. Varget is the recipe.

1-12" IMO will give the OP the highest probability for accurate shooting with his bullet choices. There are some that have done well with 1-14", but many like me have not had the same results. I'm looking at maybe swapping out to a 1-8" as many have shot the heavies as well as the 53 vmax well with that twist.

So I'm shopping for a Rem 22-250. I picked up an 8lb jug of Varget this week and ordered 200 rounds of 22-250 Lapua brass. I'm looking at shooting a 50 - 60 grain bullet. Wanting some thoughts on what twist I should be looking at.
What are you shooting at and with what range limitations?

Are you shooting chucks or smaller varmints with that HPBT? If so how is it working for you?
Prarie dogs, rabbits and target days. This bullet acts like dynamite when it hits. Nothing is salvageable. It literally cuts bunny size critters in half. Varget powder sends them about 3650 fps.
I do have a 55 Sierra load in SBT to tamp down that grenade factor and they run 3700. Have not taken a critter with them yet, unfortunately. But, expect a whole animal on the ground, lol.

Prarie dogs, rabbits and target days. This bullet acts like dynamite when it hits. Nothing is salvageable. It literally cuts bunny size critters in half. Varget powder sends them about 3650 fps.
I do have a 55 Sierra load in SBT to tamp down that grenade factor and they run 3700. Have not taken a critter with them yet, unfortunately. But, expect a whole animal on the ground, lol.
What's the max range you find effective on bunnies with that 55gr HPBT load? TIA

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.