Which trigger for Weatherby Mark V?

blank

Hi everyone

I recently got a hold of a Weatherby Mark V Europe in .300 Wby Mag, manufactured in 1979 in Japan.
I do not like the the factory trigger so I have decided to have a gunsmith install an aftermarket trigger. So now the question is, which one?
These are the ones I have found so far:

1. Timney

2. Jard

Shilen do only list triggers for Rem 700, 40X and the XP-100 silhouette pistol, don´t they have any trigger for the Weatherby Mark V? For Canjar and Jewell I have not found any websites, do they have replacement triggers for the Weatherby Mark V? Are there any more manufacturers who make triggers for the Weatherby Mark V? Which trigger would you recommend?

I am mostly going to use the rifle for long range target shooting and if I get the opportunity, some lrh as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. So I want to be able to have a fairly light trigger pull.

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

/ Johan

Ok, maby there is not so many Weatherby shooters here?
Based on your experiences with triggers from any of the above manufactures which do you think that I should go for? Or simply, which one of these companys makes the best aftermarket triggers in general?

Blank:

Seems to me that a short time back some discussion went on about Jard triggers and it wasn't favorable. Try a search for Jard and it should turn up. If it was me, based on what little I've read and heard, I would go with the Timney in an aftermarket trigger, or try to find a good smith that has experience with Wby. triggers and get it worked over. I believe that Timney is the only mfg. that makes a complete replacement trigger for the Wby.

Blank: If you don't want to go with a Timney trigger you can have your factory trigger worked on. Kevin Knight does excellent trigger jobs on Wby. What is great you just have to send him the trigger group and not the whole rifle. He can take them down to 1 1/2 lb. if you want to go that low. Kevin does excellent work and his turn around time is usually fast. Here is his website and if you talk to him tell him Sam said hello. I hope this helps. Sam.

http://www.highperformancegunsmiths.com/

I have a few Weatherby's and I usually just adjust them down to whatever I want. They will go down to 16-18 ounces with the factory spring. With a spring change they will go down to 6 ounces. Welcome to brotherhood of Weatherby shooters. Yesterday I got to wring out an 338-378 Accumark. What a hoot. The brake they put on those is very effective. I swear it kicks about the same or slightly less than my unbraked 25-06 kicks. We were shooting 115 grains of RL-25 behind 225 grain Barnes TSX's. Even my 14 year old was winging them into nice sub 1" groups. Then we pulled back to 300 yards and put a thrashing on a bunch of clay pigeons. The trigger on that rifle didn't take 5 minutes to put down to 18 ounces.

Hey Jimm hope you are doing great! I have several friends who have Mk V's and their triggers are stock and have adjusted down very nicely.You will not have trouble adjusting the triggers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Blank,

I put a Timney on my Wby MK V action. I currently have it adjusted to break at 2 Lbs. I am very happy with it, breaks very cleanly. I would reccomend it. It was easy to install as well if you want to do it yourself.

Thanks Sniper2, I am doing great cepting for this mad March march in the landscape biz. Everybody wants it all and they all want it yesterday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Par for the course for me I reckon as this trigger won't go below 3lbs 12 oz backed all the way off. I used a Lyman digital trigger gauge and ran a series to get a avg.

So , I took Sam's advice and sent the trigger group to Highperformance Gunsmiths in Hamilton , Montana as he said he was a wby go to man and could turn it around quickly .

Jim B.

I have 2 Mark V in 257 and both have the stock triggers. They are just stoned and adjusted to my likeness. I hunt with my both of my rifles and they fine for me.
Just one of the reasons Weatherbys are niiiice.

Jimm,
3 pounds? Thats hard to beleive. How much sear were you running. If it's too deep it will sit there at three pounds. Tighten the sear engangement screw until it slips off and then back it out 1/8 of a turn or just a pinch more. This will give you plenty of sear for safety and cut a pound and a half off the pull. Now your at 1 1/2 pounds. Want lighter? Take the assembly off and either replace the trigger return spring with a lighter one from Brownells for $5 or do like I have and trim the spring so it is just the right length to have just no slack or pressure when the pressure screw is backed out all the way. Then take up the slack on the spring with the pressure screw and give it 1/4 to 1/2 turn of preload. Then put it all back together and recheck for safety. This mod will allow you to get well under 1 pound safely.

Thank you for all your replys!
But now I have a hard time trying to decide whether I should send the trigger group to Kevin Knight to have it worked over, or just go ahead and order the Timney trigger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have the same issue, mine measures just under the 64 oz mark on my RCBS scale. Do you change the outer spring with the washer at the top, or do you have to remove the roll pin and change the spring inside the trigger group?

Thank you
Allen

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.