Weatherby Mark V stock modification

turbo800

So I've been a long time reader here on the site but have seldom posted anything.

I have a couple weatherby Mark V rifles but don't care for the look of the Monte Carlo style stock.

My question is this. Can the cheek bulge in the side of the stock be remove? Is the stock solid or hollow back there? If solid I would think that it could be modified without a lot of trouble, but if hollow could turn into a can of worms quickly.

I have two Mark V rifles. Not sure why you want to remove the cheek swell, maybe for you own ergonomic purposes? Anyway, if it was me I'd look for an after market stock and perhaps keep or sell the originals. I would not want to grind the cheek swell off one of those Mark V's for fear of the aesthetic result but that's just me. Good luck!

So I've been a long time reader here on the site but have seldom posted anything.

I have a couple weatherby Mark V rifles but don't care for the look of the Monte Carlo style stock.

My question is this. Can the cheek bulge in the side of the stock be remove? Is the stock solid or hollow back there? If solid I would think that it could be modified without a lot of trouble, but if hollow could turn into a can of worms quickly.
It is solid

They would probably sell on this site fairly easily, and then you could just buy the stocks you want.

It's less risky, because once you start grinding, it will be too late, and if you like it less when you are done, they will be virtually worthless to anyone else..

What kind are they? I've got a handful of mark V rifles, and I love the contours Weatherby uses..

Most of the wood (just about all in fact) that Weatherby uses is in itself a work of art, including the finish. Seems a shame to take them into the field, but to actually grind on them??? I would take the suggestion of buying an aftermarket stock. I see this was originally posted almost two years ago, but due to the intense subject matter (defacing a Weatherby stock), I had to add my $.02-Sorry

They would probably sell on this site fairly easily, and then you could just buy the stocks you want.

It's less risky, because once you start grinding, it will be too late, and if you like it less when you are done, they will be virtually worthless to anyone else..

What kind are they? I've got a handful of mark V rifles, and I love the contours Weatherby uses..
It's just the standard dark grey with speckles fiberglass stocks. Beyond not caring for the shape I needed a higher cheek rest. Got tired of having to remove the stuff I used to build up the cheek height whenever I cleaned the barrel, so I inset some "T" nuts into the stock and built a kydex adjustable cheek riser. I have a bag over it so you never see it unless cleaning the rifle.

If it is a fiberglass stock, alterations to the cheekpiece might result in hitting the hollow portion of the stock when you start to grind it away. My FiberMark stock had some type of foam filling in it. When you grind through the hard shell to remove the cheekpiece, you can probably use some type of epoxy to seal the hole, and of course repaint it. But it seems you have it transformed into the stock that suits you best, and that's what matters most.