Which top end binocular?

NWmissouriman

There's a lot of good top end choices, but which would you choose and why?

Swarovski SLC
Swarovski EL
Leica Noctivid
Leica Ultravid
Zeiss Victory SF
Zeiss Victory HT (forgot originally)
Zeiss Conquest HD

To my knowledge the only significant difference between the swarovski SLC and EL is the field flattener in the EL model. I know very little about any of the Zeiss or Leica models so how do they compare?

Last edited:
Not in your list but a very close relative, the zeiss HT. These are the brightest binoculars made(at least they were last year) the sf zeiss are only like 1 percent behind due to the design. I have these and a pair of the non hd leica geovids and these make them look like a pair of barskas. Ok the geovids aren't that bad but the zeiss are truly something to behold when it gets closer to dusk.

Not in your list but a very close relative, the zeiss HT. These are the brightest binoculars made(at least they were last year) the sf zeiss are only like 1 percent behind due to the design. I have these and a pair of the non hd leica geovids and these make them look like a pair of barskas. Ok the geovids aren't that bad but the zeiss are truly something to behold when it gets closer to dusk.
I'm not sure why I didn't include the HT in that list. I should've had them listed before listing the conquest. For me, the brightness is extremely important. How do the geovids and the ht compare when it comes to clarity? Have you had either one next to either of the swarovski models?

Last edited:
I love my Swaro EL binos. When I was looking at the options, I went to a Cabelas and looked up into the beams in the shadows as far across the store as I could. The Swaro ELs were the only ones I could clearly see the markings on the bolts from tightening. The SLCs were next in clarity, and nothing else that I tried was close.

One other thing between the EL and SLC models is ergonomics. I like the ergonomics on the EL, a lot of people like the SLC design.

-David

I have the swaro el range , after looking through friends , I went and bought a pair and yes it killed me to spend that much money on a pair of bino s but the best money I have spent, Last year I had tagged out and I was at the camp watching elk come over the ridge clear as day, another guy had leupold s mojave and you could barely make the animals out, I could see they where elk. but just not clear, the swaro where like you where right there, both where 10 x 42, and we both adjusted each others to each of our eyes and the swaros where just unbelievable. The only down fall last 2 days I was there the lens fell out of the front of them, Instead of bringing them back to cabelas I sent to Swarovski right here next to me in Rhode Island, my mistake Cabelas would have replaced them, I got such a Jerky show with Manufacturer I missed the rest of the hunting season with out binos. But I learned a lesson and should have just Immediately brought right back to Cabelas for exchange.

I haven't had them next to swaros directly So I don't want to say one way or the other. I have looked thru the swaros at the store but that is a poor comparison seeing as even cheap binoculars look good in the store. The clarity is very good on both the geovids and the ht zeiss but the ht's are just that much better. With the price point you are looking at it really is pick a pair that fits your hands and run with it. I think the EL can cause some people to get the rolling ball effect. The noctivid seems really interesting to me, but the birding stuff I have read give the nod to the zeiss sf because they have better ergonomics.

I love my Swaro EL binos. When I was looking at the options, I went to a Cabelas and looked up into the beams in the shadows as far across the store as I could. The Swaro ELs were the only ones I could clearly see the markings on the bolts from tightening. The SLCs were next in clarity, and nothing else that I tried was close.

One other thing between the EL and SLC models is ergonomics. I like the ergonomics on the EL, a lot of people like the SLC design.

-David
That's good to hear how you looked at them in the store in the shadows and at the bolts. I likely wouldn't have thought of trying that. Cabelas will be where I'm going to get my hands on a few. I was hoping to get it narrowed down to two or three before I went there. I've not seen many complaints on swarovski and without looking through anything I'd been leaving heavy towards the SLC but I just don't want to short myself.

I have the swaro el range , after looking through friends , I went and bought a pair and yes it killed me to spend that much money on a pair of bino s but the best money I have spent, Last year I had tagged out and I was at the camp watching elk come over the ridge clear as day, another guy had leupold s mojave and you could barely make the animals out, I could see they where elk. but just not clear, the swaro where like you where right there, both where 10 x 42, and we both adjusted each others to each of our eyes and the swaros where just unbelievable. The only down fall last 2 days I was there the lens fell out of the front of them, Instead of bringing them back to cabelas I sent to Swarovski right here next to me in Rhode Island, my mistake Cabelas would have replaced them, I got such a Jerky show with Manufacturer I missed the rest of the hunting season with out binos. But I learned a lesson and should have just Immediately brought right back to Cabelas for exchange.
Funny you mention that about your friends binoculars as I'm upgrading my BX 3 Mojave haha. Actually I had the pleasure of looking through some EL range binos a couple years ago and they were great. I have a G7 though so I plan to get regular binoculars. Thanks for the reply!

I haven't had them next to swaros directly So I don't want to say one way or the other. I have looked thru the swaros at the store but that is a poor comparison seeing as even cheap binoculars look good in the store. The clarity is very good on both the geovids and the ht zeiss but the ht's are just that much better. With the price point you are looking at it really is pick a pair that fits your hands and run with it. I think the EL can cause some people to get the rolling ball effect. The noctivid seems really interesting to me, but the birding stuff I have read give the nod to the zeiss sf because they have better ergonomics.
That's where I've found most of my information on these binoculars is the birding forums. That's why I was hoping to get some input here from the hunting crowd. The bird crowd are more concerned with close focus and color depth versus things like low light capability and the contrast it seems. I really don't think you can go wrong so to speak, but I'm sure you could find one that's more optimal for hunting. From what I'm finding the HT and SLC are pretty competitive in the hunting market.

That's where I've found most of my information on these binoculars is the birding forums. That's why I was hoping to get some input here from the hunting crowd. The bird crowd are more concerned with close focus and color depth versus things like low light capability and the contrast it seems. I really don't think you can go wrong so to speak, but I'm sure you could find one that's more optimal for hunting. From what I'm finding the HT and SLC are pretty competitive in the hunting market.

I have the zeiss HT, looked through quite a few binos before putting out the $$. I prefered the ergos of the EL, but they had a "rolling" view to them as I panned across. They were great when on a static object but I didnt want to live with the issue. Lieca makes some great glass as well, but for my eyes the zeiss had better resolution.
Only thing I have found an issue with the zeiss is when I put them into my bino case, then pull them out the focus wheel has always moved. I have to focus them everytime I pull them out. My previous bino (leupold golden ring HD) never seemed to have the issue. Put them away set for 200 yards- pull them out still focused.

I have the zeiss HT, looked through quite a few binos before putting out the $$. I prefered the ergos of the EL, but they had a "rolling" view to them as I panned across. They were great when on a static object but I didnt want to live with the issue. Lieca makes some great glass as well, but for my eyes the zeiss had better resolution.
Only thing I have found an issue with the zeiss is when I put them into my bino case, then pull them out the focus wheel has always moved. I have to focus them everytime I pull them out. My previous bino (leupold golden ring HD) never seemed to have the issue. Put them away set for 200 yards- pull them out still focused.
The rolling is what concerned me with the EL and the SF and Noctivid. I figured I'd at least look through the EL in the store but I wasn't sure if it would show up in those conditions. I've read great things about the Leica but I've seen several people claim they appeared darker than the swaro and Zeiss. Thanks for the input!

I've turned into a binocular junkie...my most used pair is the Swaro 8x32 EL, but my next favorite pair is an older Vortex Fury 6.5x30. Eye relief is a big driver for me as I wear glasses. I suggest that you all quit worrying about what's better an get out there and try some. Everyone's eyes are different and more money won't guarantee a better viewing experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.