Which stock round? Federal GM308M2 or Hornady 8077

NightmareArmory

Hi,
I have a new Remington 700 SPS Tactical 20" .308
It is mounted in a MDT TAC21 chassis with Primary Arms PA4-14XFFP Mil/Mil scope, Magpul PRS butt stock, Harris bipod among other goodies. I plan on using for benchrest and prone target shooting at 100yd indoor min distance and 888yd outdoor max distance.

I am in the process of purchasing ammo for breaking in the rifle and wondered if I could ask for input on the (2) rounds I found available that seem to be high quality off the shelf ammo. I currently do not have the ability to do reloading.

The Hornady 8077 at 178gr (3 grains greater bullet weight) has significantly better specs over the Federal GM308M2 from what I have found
Muzzle energy is 3043 ft lbs vs 2627
Muzzle velocity is 2775fps vs 2600

Do I need to be concerned with this difference if they are close to the same cost per round?

Thanks for your input!

I wouldn't wast barrel life breaking it in; that's a waste of time in my opinion. A given ammo lot of one may well shoot more accurate than the other.

Shoot 20 shots into a single group with each, then pick the one that's most accurate. Any less and the credibility of the group representing accuracy to a 90% level starts dropping. 5-shot groups are about 30% credible.

Shoot them at 2 minute intervals so barrel heat does't make it bend; very common with commercial rifles. If it does walk shot impact as it heats up, that can usually be fixed by turning the receiver face as it's held in a mandrel in a lathe square with the barrel tenon thread axis then shimming it to clock in for headspace. Any 'smith worth his business card could do that very easy.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.