which scope?

NZP

I am having a rifle built up at the moment after the success i had with my first semi custom. this rifle is built off a trued M700 short action, a 30" lilja barrel, #8 contour and a 1-8twist. it'll be sitting in a mcmillan A5 stock.

All thats missing is the scope and I would like a nightforce but probably wont get one for another year, possibly less than that.

looking to put something cheaper on in the mean time with a decent power and decent tracking.

I know its not a great scope, but i have a 6-20x40 grand slam that came off a 223 i had.

any suggestions?

oh the rifle will be used for varminting and eventually F-class

Sounds like a nice rig you got going there.

The Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 is an excellent scope for the money. Great glass, reticle, and tracking. Available in a target dot model too.

Sightron is another good make/value. I don't sell them, but they are nice.

The nikon buckmaster scopes are a really nice line for a little under the $300.00 mark.

the only problem with buying a scope like this now and knowing you are gonna replace it with something else is that unless you have something else you know you are gonna do with that original scope you are kinda just dumping money on it. now if you are gonna use it for a hunting rifle scope or something else then all is good.

if you arent gonna have anything to use it on then i would say just save up and take the plunge on the NF, otherwise you are in a sense just spending more money on the NF in the long run. trust me i did the same thing on leup's and zeiss's before i broke down and bought the NF. of all the NF's i have sold i have never had a complaint about them

have a good un
steve

If your are look for exposed turrets I would recommend looking at Bushnell they will not get you out to 1k but they will get you out to about 700 to 800yds.

Scott has really spoken highly of the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 that maybe a really good way to go. I trust Scott opinion not to say Steve does not I just do not know Steve were I know Scott really well. Steve I'm not a big Nikon fan. I do not like there body housing.

Another scope you my what to look at would be the Leupold MK4 4.5-14x40mm with the Mil-Dot reticle.

Nightforce are great scopes!

Mike @ CSGW

Last edited:
well after 4yrs of postiing helpful info and learning and growing with everyone on the board here i would hope i would have proven my trust to the other board members :):D

last year me and Bill sold just over 350 nikon scopes and i can safely say that i do not remember recieving one back. now i did not recieve any of my bushnell scopes back either if i remember correctly.

my main point of the Nikon scopes is that i think you get a better scope for your money over alot of other brands. In my experince if you take say a $250 Nikon scope and comare it to a $250 Bushnell, Leup, whatever from what i have seen you are getting more scope for your money with the Nikon. once you get to about the $400-$500 mark i think you are better off going with the Leup VXIII line

just my opinion from what i have personally seen.

have a good un
steve

I dont think i can get vortex scopes down here in New Zealand, and there is a bit of paper work to import a scope but might have to look into it.
isnt exactly a huge selection here either. I think swift have been getting a good name here but have never used one befor, anyone know anything about them?

Lerch you make a good point about buying a scope and then taking it off in 6 months time and not using it, seems a bit of a waste really.

by the way its going to be a 6X47 Lapua.

"Lerch you make a good point about buying a scope and then taking it off in 6 months time and not using it, seems a bit of a waste really."

thanks NZP :)

when im talking about that its from experince buddy. when i started out in this LR game I had a VXII 6-18 leup, it worked good but i knew i needed more, so i sold it for about $200 less than it cost me. So i got a VXIII 4.5-14 leup with the BC reticle but i needed something finer for precision stuff, and i sold it for $100 or $200 less than it cost me. I bought a Zeiss scope and wanted more so i sold it for a little less than it cost me, then a great dot reticle Vari X III 4.5-14 ( that i still miss) and i sold it for a little less than it cost me to get my first NF. That one i havent sold and i still think back at how much money i lost at the whole deal when you add it all up.

Now selling all of this stuff i am in a position to buy it cheaper than most and learning what i have i just wanna pass it on.

If you bite the bullet once, you only bite it once. dont bite it a half dozen times along the road ;)

if you buy a scope as a temp replacment make sure you have a place for it.

have a good un
steve

If you are looking for a good scope for long range shooting without having to mortage your home, try a BSA Platium Target scope in either 6-24 or 8-32. Now before you turn up your nose, the clarity is good and it comes with target turrets and sunshades. I put one on my 6.5-06 ackley that I built for 1000 yard shooting. It was good enough for me to take first place in the only santioned 1000 yrd. match I entered. I also put one on my wildcat 375/300, (slightly more powerful than a 375H&H), and it has held up fine after hundreds of rounds. The only problem it seems to have is that it is a little dark at extreme ranges at extreme power.

That is quit impressive for a BSA. I have a BSA 8-32x44mm Platinum 1/8moa adjustments total travel is 39moa. That is not a lot of moa and I would think I would need a steep base like a 40moa base to get to 1k. The turrets are positive but not very strong, the tube housing is ok, the glass in them is subpar but will do the job, the OBJ is a little cheaper feeling, but for what they cost you really can't complain. BSA is not a scope that I would trust for the most part. I had the BSA on 223 now it is on a 10/22.

Mike @ CSGW

Gunworks is correct. I had the rear of the scope shimmed. I can still work at 100 yards but I have taken shoots out to 1500yrds. At 1500 I was all but out of adjustment. While it is true that the features are not top notch it serves me well and it did not break my wallet at $120.00 2 years age. As my gun smith, Wendell Simpson, put it, it is not how much you spend, it is how you spend it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.