Which rifle, to get. Christensen, kimber Montana, bergara premier highlander

I own 2 CA Ridgelines and both are great shooters. Montana Rifle Co also makes a hell of a nice rifle, hand lapped barrels and fully bedded action.

The Montana Rifle Co will be heavier. I have several, and have brought in quite a few. I really like them but they are not as light. The company is getting their act together and doing better.

I made the mistake of carrying a friend's CA Mesa in 6.5 Creedmoor on a Mouflon hunt last Thanksgiving. I swore I would not own a 6.5 Creedmoor but after that weekend I own a 6.5 Creedmoor chambered Kimber.

The CA is really a nice rifle and a tack driver. I simply prefer the CRF mini-model 70 (MRC) like action in that type hunting rifle. The Kimber is lighter. I think Christensen is a better company and no question has the best trigger on the market - TriggerTech. The Kimber trigger is good too but a goofy shape. I think I will put in a Jard. I much prefer the Model 70 three position safety.

Hello, all been following the site for sometime finally made the jump to be a member. I'm in need of some advice I'm to get a good factory rifle chambered in 280 Ackley. I've knocked off the savage ultralight since it had a 22 inch I want full potential of the caliber. Thanks all!
Just my opinion but I would not even consider any of the rifles mentioned for that kind of money have a rifle built exactly the way you want you will be money ahead in the end and have something with resale value if you ever get bored with it

If you are a fan of the Model 70 and controlled round feed. Take a look at Montana Rifle Co. I have two of these.
6.5 Creed and 300 WSM. Both shoot great. Pics follow. I still need to do my work on seating depth for the Creed. But getting there. Good luck.

Attachments

• E1DD384F-5145-4F66-A058-08D2EB93260F.jpeg
    E1DD384F-5145-4F66-A058-08D2EB93260F.jpeg
    878.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 915C2392-A300-4919-8C19-5EAADE8CC4B0.jpeg
    915C2392-A300-4919-8C19-5EAADE8CC4B0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 144
I'm not a hardcore rifleman, as most of my hunting is archery. But I do shoot and do load development with a 1951 Rem 721 in .270, and a 1975 Ruger M77 in 30.06. A couple of workhorses that both shoot sub 0.5 moa.

With 5 grandkids under than 12, I bought a 6.5 CM for lighter recoil. I was all set to buy a Tikka, but Sportsman's Warehouse had Christensen Arms Mesa rifles on sale for the same price of the Tikkas.

I did the 50-rounds break-in and another 50 rounds of fun shooting, before starting my load development. I've got about 140 total, testing 4 different powders right now.

Overall, I am very impressed with the Mesa. The action is very smooth, the balance is good, the recoil is almost non-existent. This is my first CA rifle, and it's their entry level rifle. But it seems to be a good rifle at a fair price.

ps., I've got Timney single-stage 2.0 lb triggers in my older rifles, and I think the CA factory Trigger Tech trigger is every bit as crisp and consistent.

Last edited:
Look at dakotaarms.com then locate the Model 97 Classic. It would be exactly what you are looking for. They are fine rifles and in my opinion nothing is better. Again, my opinion.

Having competed PRS with a Bergara HMR Pro I vote Bergara. Great trigger, very smooth action and best of all accurate.

Heym USA just introduced a SR30 straight pull in a PSE E-Lite carbon stock with a proof carbon barrel. Not sure which calibres they offer them in.
edi

Hello, all been following the site for sometime finally made the jump to be a member. I'm in need of some advice I'm to get a good factory rifle chambered in 280 Ackley. I've knocked off the savage ultralight since it had a 22 inch I want full potential of the caliber. Thanks all!
I have the Kimber Mountain Ascent in 280 AI & couldn't be happier with it. Mine is solid .5moa with Nosler factory ammo.

Everyone one is a factory built rifle, you have a chance of getting a turd with any one of them.

I am reaching the point if I am going to spend more than the price of a tikka t3 then I may as well save up a bit and have one built to exactly what I want.
I have gone with Tikka in a few calibers and they have all shot like a dream, very high quality control!!

The Montana Rifle Co will be heavier. I have several, and have brought in quite a few. I really like them but they are not as light. The company is getting their act together and doing better.

I made the mistake of carrying a friend's CA Mesa in 6.5 Creedmoor on a Mouflon hunt last Thanksgiving. I swore I would not own a 6.5 Creedmoor but after that weekend I own a 6.5 Creedmoor chambered Kimber.

The CA is really a nice rifle and a tack driver. I simply prefer the CRF mini-model 70 (MRC) like action in that type hunting rifle. The Kimber is lighter. I think Christensen is a better company and no question has the best trigger on the market - TriggerTech. The Kimber trigger is good too but a goofy shape. I think I will put in a Jard. I much prefer the Model 70 three position safety.

The Montana Rifle X3 is 6.9 lbs and equipped very nicely. Fully bedded, adjustable trigger, great action, composite stock, muzzle break, hand lapped barrel. Basically a custom rifle and available in 280AI.

https://montanarifleco.com/rifles/x3/

Check out the Coopers I buddy just got one and it is great. Light weight and it shoots under .5in

Ive been shooting a Christensen arms Ridgeline, I love it, easy half Moa with quality factory hunting ammo. Some buddies have the mesa line and the ones I have shot have been great shooters too, lightweight accurate rifles that come in significantly more affordable than a custom build.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.