Which rifle, to get. Christensen, kimber Montana, bergara premier highlander

Whatever you can buy over the counter and handle and inspect prior to purchase lessens the odds of a lemon considerably vs buying online. Or build it but dont expect to save $$$.

I worked on a kimber 280 AI this summer, with all sorts of feeding issues. Their mag box is not long enough to shoot the higher bc bullets. This guy had only seated the bullets out 40 thousands and the gun would not feed.

Yeah I was just on there website and 280 AI is not listed! So apparently they did drop it from the list. They do still offer the 280 Ackley but it is in a different style.
It looks like they have dropped the 280 AI from their entire lineup in their 2020 catalog.

I wanted a 280 AI a few months ago and was looking at the same 3 brands you are. I own a CA in 338 Lapua and it's a tack driver. The CA I wanted wasn't in stock at the time. I held a Kimber at Cabelas and, honestly, I didn't like the way it felt in my hands.
I ended building one myself. I went through Northland Shooters Supply to purchase everything but the stock. James at NSS was awesome and made sure I had everything I needed to build my rifle. I went with a Rem 700 action and the Remage barrel nut set up to install the Criterion barrel. I purchased a stock from Grayboe and it dropped right in without any adjustments. Although I'm still in load development, it looks like it's going to be a shooter. When zeroing and breaking in the barrel, it was stacking Nosler factory ammo on top of each other. It was surprisingly easy to headspace and install the barrel. I'm really happy with the rifle and it was fun to build my first one.

I always laugh when I hear about the CA "problems". It's always "my friend knew someone that had one and blah blah blah".

Do your own research. There are very few 1st hand accounts of problems on the web. In the cases of first hand problems, I have not seen where CA hasn't fixed the issue. All manufacturers have problems here or there.

That being said, my CA Ridgeline in 30 Nosler has shot sub MOA from the beginning.

Hello, all been following the site for sometime finally made the jump to be a member. I'm in need of some advice I'm to get a good factory rifle chambered in 280 Ackley. I've knocked off the savage ultralight since it had a 22 inch I want full potential of the caliber. Thanks all!

First off you need to ask yourself what do you want to do with this rifle ? and what finished weight do I want when scoped ?

Is it an ultralight backpacking rifle ? is it an everyday hunting rig for road hunting as well as walking ?

Do you want to do a lot of long range shooting as well as hunting ?

If you want one of the best for the money ultralight factory rifles then go with the Kimber Montana, if you buy one do yourself a favour and have it glass bedded, the trigger adjusted and ensure the magazine box isn't rubbing with pressure on the action.
Ive owned 20 or so of these rifles, some factory mostly custom builds and they are a bargain for what you get.
Or this is what I would do is pick up and used Kimber Montana 84L and a #2 Benchmark or Bartlein barrel and have a 280AI built for yourself, all the parts are in a Montana for a build aside from a match grade barrel, all stainless CRF action, excellent adjustable trigger, a Kevlar Carbon fibre stock which is easy to alter ie-palm swell, cheek piece, high comb

If weight isn't a concern the Bergara Highlander is a dandy rifle but I don't think its chambered in 280AI, I don't see it on there website unless its changed,
Ive owned a couple Bergara Rifles and both shot very well with factory ammo.

Cant comment on the CA rifles as Ive never owned or shot one.

Good luck
WF

Hello, all been following the site for sometime finally made the jump to be a member. I'm in need of some advice I'm to get a good factory rifle chambered in 280 Ackley. I've knocked off the savage ultralight since it had a 22 inch I want full potential of the caliber. Thanks all!
Suggest you checkout the Barrett Fieldcraft Rifle. The reviews are excellent. I don't believe it's available in the 280AI, so that could be a deal breaker for you.

I love my Kimber but I did have to take a very fine stone to the area around the magazine well and the edge of the bolt face to keep it from eating my brass.
Took a few pieces of brass and some cussing before I noticed it was just some rough edges that I could fix easily.
I too like my Kimbers. However to get the most out of them I've done quite a bit of work on them. Total glass bedding, trued action, Brux barrels, 2.5 lb trigger. I have three now. 30 Nosler, 243AI, and 270WSM. All half MOA and better rifles. They all started as factory 1" rifles as long as the barrels completely cooled between shots. Barrels were way too thin for .5 moa accuracy. The weight savings wasn't worth it.

Probably not a good representation but here goes.
My brother wanted a new elk gun so he researched and ended up with a Kimber Montana 84 in 325 WSM. We tried multiple powders and multiple bullets. Never could get the gun to shoot. I mean nothing less than two inches at a hundred yards. Bedded and free floated the barrel. Wasted effort, didn't make a difference.
Just my two cents worth.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.