Which rifle is worth spending on

operator1

I have two rifles I want to use for hunting. Unfortunately can't make up my mind which is the better option. First and favorite is a Browning X bolt 300 wm medallion. Have always loved the caliber. Second choice is a Tikka T-3 stainless 300 wsm. Problem is after a shoulder surgery they are a bit brutal so I must add a brake. I'm on a very limited income forced medical retirement and cannot do both rifles. I live out west and can sometimes get long shots and am not sure if the 300 wsm would reach as far as the 300 wm. In order to shoot either comfortably it would take a brake and probably a new pad to start with. Need some input on taming the recoil, ie: recommended brakes, pad, and some ideas on which would be the smarter choice in rifles. All would be greatly appreciated. I'm 65 yrs young and have been hunting since age of 12. Thanks

The Tikka is a better rifle regardless of the caliber you choose. A good brake like the Little Bastard paired with a Limbsaver pad and get after it.

There won't be much difference in performance if you don't handload for them. Either way you'll be fine as both actions have been proven to be good shooters, I would select whichever rifle shoots better. I prefer Limbsaver recoil pads. As far as breaks there are many good options out there. I would advise a quality directional break, such as the APA breaks, or for a budget I've had good results with the Mac's Gunworks NWP break.

I have the Tikka, blued, in 300WSM and it is amazing with 180gn loads. As mentioned, you need the model 10011 Limbsaver. Fast, clean installation and your shoulder and shooting will love it. Gamechanger.

Shoot the one that shoots the best. Recoil with 180 class bullets and a brake shouldn't be much of a problem with either one and they'll both kill anything you need at 700+ without a problem.

Operator1, if the Browning is already your favorite, I'd sell the Tikka to finance the brake, recoil pad, etc. on your Browning.
If you are not shooting prone due to your shoulder, most radial brakes will work. Talk to your gunsmith about your options and which he thinks is best for you. Limb saver is probably the way to go for recoil pad.

If there's any other reason you are considering the Tikka, I'd like to hear it. Is it lighter? More accurate? Like it better in one area or another better?

^ I would 100% upgrade my favorite rifle. If it took selling a secondary rifle to make my favorite one perfect then so be it.

I'd rather have the Browning anyway personally. Something like a terminator T2 or little bastard should make it very shooteable

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the above recommendations of setting up your favorite rifle and possibly selling the other to finance the project. Between the 2 cartridges there isn't enough difference to worry about a whole lot. I switched over to the side port brakes several years ago and will not install a radial again. My favorite so far is the Muscle Brake that can be purchased through the online store here.
The Limbsaver pad is a great option and they are very comfortable. The Pachmayr Decelerator is also a great recoil pad that has been around for a long time and works well. I have used several of each kind and they both work great.

The Tikka is a better rifle regardless of the caliber you choose. A good brake like the Little Bastard paired with a Limbsaver pad and get after it.
Thank you. I will definately check out the brake and pad.
You could get both barrels cut with the same threads and use one break on both.
Same caliber so no problem there?
Great idea! The tikka is a shorter barrel and good for the thick forests of western washington and the Browning should reach out further for east side of the mountains. Really like the idea. Thanks

There won't be much difference in performance if you don't handload for them. Either way you'll be fine as both actions have been proven to be good shooters, I would select whichever rifle shoots better. I prefer Limbsaver recoil pads. As far as breaks there are many good options out there. I would advise a quality directional break, such as the APA breaks, or for a budget I've had good results with the Mac's Gunworks NWP break.
I will check out both brakes and seems like many like the limbsaver. Thanks for the reccomendations.

Shoot the one that shoots the best. Recoil with 180 class bullets and a brake shouldn't be much of a problem with either one and they'll both kill anything you need at 700+ without a problem.
I think everyone has solved my problem. Keep both and modify both. Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts