Is it worth it (new rifle used rifle)

matt_3479

Trued Rem 700 Short Action
26" #7 RKS Gain Twist Barrel
Defensive Edge Recoil Lug
McMillan A5 stock in grey/black marble finish
Redding dies & 100 Lapua brass
20 MOA Rail

Shoots the 105 Amax in to bug holes at 3100 fps.

The gentlemen is asking 1900. I haven't found out how many rounds down the tube yet which will be a huge factor here. But if I can kick him down a smidge and even if barrel is on it's last legs a local gunsmith doing work on one of my current rifles has 6mm/6.5 cal's barrels in stock. So I can get him to rechamber it into a 260 rem since I current have a 243. Win

if no good scope I would offer 1200 I think you could build something similar that would get your bugholes for the same amount that would be new especially if your not getting a proven scope in the deal

if no good scope I would offer 1200 I think you could build something similar that would get your bugholes for the same amount that would be new especially if your not getting a proven scope in the deal

Thanks for the quick response. The reason I'm interested in the gun is because I want a 260 and figured I have all the stuff for the 243. To load till the barrel is shot and it comes with the redding die. But on top of that to rebarrel would cost me only a couple hundred. Plus have 600 140gr amax as well.

Figured remington action would cost me 400-600. Fully blueprinted would run me 700-900 for the work plus the action. Stock bedded is going run me a 1000, lapua brass and die worth about 75 bucks give or take. Recoil lug worth a smidge with the work. Figured he probably had 2400-2700 invested between parts, and work that's including barrel and stuff. He isn't selling a scope with it. But have one at home here I can throw on and if I could get it for 1600 ish and rebarrel It puts me at 2 ish

yea I figured if you offered 1200 he would counter you at 1500 to 1600 and that seems fair. Tell him you don't know how many shots are left in that barrel

If your intent is to rebarrel to make a 260 then I see no reason for you to buy this package. Why not make your own?

I think you could make something that is exactly what you want for less than what he is asking. If you are willing to take the time you can find many of the items you need by carefully shopping in the classifieds of a few gun sites.

IMHO I cannot justify accurizing a rem action. I have found that they shoot fine without this costly work.

If you want superior accuracy for 1000 yd benchrest or perhaps F class then get a custom action like a these:

Barnard Precision

BAT Machine

Borden RimRock Farley Mfg.

Haverkamp

Lawton Pierce Eng.

RPA Eng.

Savage Stolle (Kelbly)

Stiller Precision

Surgeon

Or if you have lots of money and no time to wait buy the rifle.

figure you could get it rebarrel it and have like you said for about 2000 in it after your done you said he probably had 24 to 27 in it so your saving money but like I said earlier that you could also build a pretty nice rifle for that either way you'll end up with a nice rifle

What trigger in the rifle? Is the a5 adjustable or not? I would assume the stock is bedded, correct? I will assume it's the bdl metal, and not a dbm since you didn't say anything about it.

You probably need a little more information on the rifle, before you purchase it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts