Which of these two guns should I get?

17Fireball

Looking at these two guns for a long range gun (500 yards maximum). Was leaning to the Model 12 because Savage said it was more accurate. However, I didn't like the extra weight and I don't really like laminated stocks. However, I read posts on the Model 10 Predator and everyone said it shoots like 1/2" groups or better which really surprised me. My current Savage .243 weather warrior can't shoot that with me behind the trigger.

Probably using the Hornady 87 grain hpbt shooting of a Tri stand (ewcalls.com) for coyotes and groundhogs and nothing for deer.

I set my triggers at 1.5 pounds.

Might get it reamed out for an Ackley Improved but not sure how that process would affect accuracy (do they mess with the barrell or just the chamber) and if the benefits are worth it. Spoke to a guy at Hart barrells who highly recommended the AI over the standard shoulder...seemed to really believe it was more accurate.

Savage Model 10 Predator Hunter Max 243 WIN
Rate of Twist:

Weight:

8.5 lbs

Overall Length:

44"

Barrel Length:

24"

Ammo Capacity:

4 round(s)

MSRP:

$945.00

or

Savage Model 12 VLP DBM
243 WIN

Rate of Twist:

Weight:

10 lbs

Overall Length:

46.25"

Barrel Length:

26"

Ammo Capacity:

4 round(s)

MSRP:

$1080.00

Still on the fence if it is worth getting it Ackley Improved.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.