Which Kestrel?

Coues Sniper

Looking to get a Kestrel wind meter, so far i think i am leaning towards the 3500 as it has all the info i think i would need without a bunch of features i don't. Good idea? Which one would you recommend? Thanks guys.

Kevin

i'm getting ready to order the 2500. i understand the 3500 will also give you the humidity which the computer programs ask for, but means nothing when shooting. the 2500 will give you everything you need.

Unless you're really anal and nitpicking about details the 2500 will do everything you need. When I bought my 3500 it was on sale and I got it for almost the price of a 2500 so I did o.k.;) and.....I'm a little nitpicking about details so I'd have probably bought it anyway.:)

I had a 2500, but wanted/needed the altitude input, which is on the 3500, 4000, 4200, etc. I got the 3500 - which should be fine for you unless you feel a need for density altitude - in whcih case the 4000 is your ticket to happiness.
OOPS - I MEANT HUMIDITY; good catch guys.

JeffVN

Last edited:
the 2500 is supposed to have the altitude function included. every bit of info i've ever seen about it, states that it does.

Their chart says the 2500 has the altitude function.
ScreenHunter_01Sep1210.44Large.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that chart and link, really wanted to know what are some good weather meters are, but thats only one, can any body let me know what are other good companies out there?

Erik

i understand the 3500 will also give you the humidity which the computer programs ask for, but means nothing when shooting

We've used Kestrels during prescribed fires to measure temp, wind speed and humidity. I was on a burn once where 3 guys had Kestrels; one was new and the other 2 had recently been calibrated. All 3 gave the same temperature reading, but standing side by side, we got 3 very different humidity values. Anymore, if we need to get a read on the relative humidity, we stick with the old sling psychrometer. I'm not alone in this opinion.
Of course, if you just have one Kestrel, you'll never have any reason to doubt its values :D

You probably already know this but, you have to be careful how you hold a Kestrel when checking humidity. There is a hole on the back and if your hand is near it you can make it vary quite a bit.

ScreenHunter_Mar2620080410PM.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.