Which kestrel?

matt_3479

It will be used for long range hunting and shooting. I just don't know which kestrel is what I need. I don't think I need top of the line one but don't want bottom of the line. Was thinking 3000, 3500 and 4000.

Now I came across brand new kestrel 3500 for 160 right now and thought it was a good price. What's your thoughts?

160$ for a 3500 is a great price if new! That's the one I want! Seems to offer great features at a decent price! Who has them on sale?

After some testing, comparing and talking to some experienced guys, my watch runs very true for pressure so I just use that an a cheap wind meter

IMO a 2500 will do all you need (temp, pressure, wind). The only thing it is missing from a LR shooting perspective is humidity. If you do some playing around with a ballistics calc you will likely find the effect of humidity to be very marginal.

The 2500 runs $149 on most sites. Wait for a decent coupon and you can probably knock $15 off.

Unless you use a g7 rangefinder that gives you the corrections I would save up and purchase one of these Kestrel 4500 Applied Ballistics | Custom Long Range Precision Rifles | Snowy Mountain Rifles to me it replaces your phone or pda for a ballistic calc and gathers all the environmental info you would ever need for accurate shooting. The use of this kestrel with a good range finder should make for a very effective combo.

I was looking at these but was concerned about how fast/easy data entry would be in the field (specifically range and angle inputs). I have been spoiled by smartphones with big, touch-screen keyboards where I can input info extremely fast. My concern (maybe unfounded?) with the AB Kestrel was having to toggle through data entry in the field.

I never was able to put hands on one, so I ended up going with an app on my phone for ballistics and a Kestrel 2500 for conditions. If you have direct experience with how the integrated Kestrel/AB unit works I would be very interested to hear your opinion.

Thanks

Brandon

All the 4000 series Kestrel meters have the Density Altitude (DA) option. This option is very handy using a ballistics program allowing DA for your environmental inputs. You don't need to use DA for inputs, you can still input temperature, pressure (with Altitude if set for Baro), and humidity. The question comes to what inputs do you want to make while hunting? Do you have a system already correcting for atmospheric conditions? I use the DA option almost exclusively. I only have to enter one 4-digit number into my computer for an atmospheric solution. Using the other option of having to input temp, baro and humidity is two additional inputs for the same or almost identical solution. Simple and easier tends to be the more attractive measure when hunting when it counts…..look at some of the scopes and range finders today already incorporating environmental conditions into their solution.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get my hands on one either..but that is about to change as snowy mtn rifles is now stocking them and I will be able to get one in my grubby paws for closer inspection. The reason I even suggested it is that I am very familiar with kestrel and if they built it you can have confidence it will hold up.

It also takes the place a few different pieces of equipment to pack around and anytime I can get rid of batteries or lower the amount of stuff I need to pack I am all over it.

I should get to spend some time with one soon and will give a no bs assessment of the product as soon as I can.

Im interested in more info that unit KCEGJ showed in equip. post for a wind meter that plugs into top of I phone. Anyone?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.