Which is more frustrating…?

nksmfamjp

Lack of optical honesty or lack of bullet clarity?

Optical Honesty- the illusion optics makers create to show that high end optics and fairly low end optics are setup to do the same job, but often optics of all levels cannot meet all the requirements for clear view, good aiming points, hunting tough, never worry zero, etc

Bullet Clarity - This one is not on the bullet makers alone. How come we don't clearly understand what bullets match to what cartridge sizes and which barrels. Even if I set a barrel up to shoot a specific bullet, there is no clear formula to make that bullet shoot well or best.

So which one wastes more time and money?!

Lack of optical honesty or lack of bullet clarity?

Optical Honesty- the illusion optics makers create to show that high end optics and fairly low end optics are setup to do the same job, but often optics of all levels cannot meet all the requirements for clear view, good aiming points, hunting tough, never worry zero, etc

Bullet Clarity - This one is not on the bullet makers alone. How come we don't clearly understand what bullets match to what cartridge sizes and which barrels. Even if I set a barrel up to shoot a specific bullet, there is no clear formula to make that bullet shoot well or best.

So which one wastes more time and money?!
Back when I was writing for shooting mags I knew the PR person at Remington and suggested that they throat their rifles specifically for ammunition that they made - they were the only ones making rifles and ammo. Not sure if SAAMI specs meant they had to be sloppy, but never got a response. It sure made sense to me.

I'll go with Optical Honesty.
I will never order a scope online unless I have tested it on someone else's platform first, avoid disappointment, you get what you pay for however.

As for Bullet Clarity, well the options are endless, and that is half the fun finding what works in your barrels and for your intended purpose.
Nevertheless it can be frustrating when an idea/ particular load doesn't work, but you just have scrap it and move on until something does.

The Barrel picks the projectile, powder ect, Not you. Although after some experience you learn to start closer to the mark, and line up twist rates, length ect to a projectile.

Last edited:
I find optics is more about what you want/ require and it takes some trial and error to figure that out. There is lots of decent "budget" optics out there but I've found that $2k is about the sweet spot, after that there is a very significant diminishing return.

For bullets I've always been able to come up with a load that shoots well. Ya there's no formula but just test systematically only changing one variable at a time and you will come up with something that works

Neither....manufacturers have been lying about their products probably back to the first caveman. I think if any consumer is gullible enough to believe without self verification any advertisement on any product the results are on them. If you disagree I have some awesome ocean front property full of elk and deer I will sell you dirt cheap. Only venmo and bitcoin accepted for payment.

I find optics is more about what you want/ require and it takes some trial and error to figure that out. There is lots of decent "budget" optics out there but I've found that $2k is about the sweet spot, after that there is a very significant diminishing return.

For bullets I've always been able to come up with a load that shoots well. Ya there's no formula but just test systematically only changing one variable at a time and you will come up with something that works
Until recently I would have agreed with you, but now I know great scopes can be had for a pittance. Things have changed a lot in recent years.

Top tier Alpha scopes are not expensive...they are priceless.

But they are not for everyone. It is all about the cost ÷ shots fired under it.

For some guys, a $1000 scope will equal to $10-20/shot fired. Or a $3500 scope might be up in that $35-70/shot fired (or more).

For me, a majority of my $3500+ scopes are running in that $2-4/shot range so far. Some less, some more...for now. I know I have two $3500 scopes that have to be less than $1/shot so far, and dropping.

I sold one old scope, and bought 10 new ones with the proceeds.

I tried scopes that I could not afford to try before. I now know I prefer scopes with FFP and side adjustable parallax with lockable turrets, and of course excellent glass.
IMG_5611.JPG

The bullet / cartridge/ barrel question is indeed a mystery. I have recently found one winning combination but is was by sheer luck rather than anything else

Last edited:
^ there's your answer right there

More Chinese crap optic knockoff bs designed to screw you out of your money

What a fitting example of the disaster that is the optics industry for the average consumer. 106$ no name lpvos marketed as being a godsend to the consumer of a diamond in the rough

^ there's your answer right there

More Chinese crap optic knockoff bs designed to screw you out of your money

What a fitting example of the disaster that is the optics industry for the average consumer. 106$ no name lpvos marketed as being a godsend to the consumer of a diamond in the rough
Have you ever tried one of those scopes ? I very much doubt it, you just don't have a clue.

In past times I spent a fortune on scopes, now I sell my old expensive scopes and buy Spina scopes with the proceeds. They are better quality :D

Have you ever tried one of those scopes ? I very much doubt it, you just don't have a clue.

In past times I spent a fortune on scopes, now I sell my old expensive scopes and buy Spina scopes with the proceeds. They are better quality :D
43 messages in two days. You must have had the whole weekend off work.

I can honestly say that I can't fault the Spina scopes, but they do seem to get peoples blood boiling. The only reason I have posted my findings is to let people know how good they are, if they were junk I would say so without hesitation.

I was leery about the scopes to start with, but my confidence grew with each purchase, so much so that I even took the chance and bought a red dot. I have always had problems with red dots and this one was no exception, so I sent it back for a refund and left negative feedback about it. The seller said they are normally first class and I must have got a one off lemon, he wanted me to try another one but I had had enough of them. Anyway he kept on and on at me to try again, but I kept refusing, but he became even more insistent when he got a new line of solar powered red dots. I finally caved when he said I could have one free of charge. I should have it in a week.:)

I can honestly say that I can't fault the Spina scopes, but they do seem to get peoples blood boiling. The only reason I have posted my findings is to let people know how good they are, if they were junk I would say so without hesitation.

I was leery about the scopes to start with, but my confidence grew with each purchase, so much so that I even took the chance and bought a red dot. I have always had problems with red dots and this one was no exception, so I sent it back for a refund and left negative feedback about it. The seller said they are normally first class and I must have got a one off lemon, he wanted me to try another one but I had had enough of them. Anyway he kept on and on at me to try again, but I kept refusing, but he became even more insistent when he got a new line of solar powered red dots. I finally caved when he said I could have one free of charge. I should have it in a week.:)
How could I resist when the ones you've tried break so well!