Which Hunting Knife

Just forget carrying something to touch up the edge on skinning and butchering a truck full of elk:

Elk Skinner- model

The design of many knives is more of a self-defense fighting knife, survival knife vs being a knife for QUICK skinning and butchering.

Read what some of the guys that use these knives say:

I have no dog in this hunt other than steering a guy to a knife he will never sell, pass on to kids. After using one of these knives in the field, you will realize how much-overpriced junk you have in the drawer at home. I want the quality of the blade in maintaining an edge through multiple animals without ever having to stop and sharpen....no kidding!

Last edited:
Looking to upgrade my knife in my kill kit this year before the archery season. I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm a pack hunter. For that reason, I carry one knife, and 100% of the time I use the gutless method to pack out meat. That said, I currently have a brand that uses disposable blades. Personally, I think it's just meh.

I've been thinking maybe a fix blade, and have been eye balling for some time the Benchmade Altitude. What say the wise internet? No budget.
I have a bunch of various knives and various makes. I would still keep the Havalon and a few blades handy. My fixed blade of choice is The Bark River Gunny LT it is very light, sharp as heck with great steel for a good price including a decent sheath.

Contact Josh Perdue of NRG Knives. He has some amazing knives of very high quality. You can get a good general purpose knife in the thickness you want and length for less than $200

Looking to upgrade my knife in my kill kit this year before the archery season. I'm looking for suggestions.

I'm a pack hunter. For that reason, I carry one knife, and 100% of the time I use the gutless method to pack out meat. That said, I currently have a brand that uses disposable blades. Personally, I think it's just meh.

I've been thinking maybe a fix blade, and have been eye balling for some time the Benchmade Altitude. What say the wise internet? No budget.
For something along the lines of the Benchmark Altitude look into R&N Blades from Australia.
They make the Helium . I have one, and they have a stockist in New Zealand for the Kiwi mountain hunters.

Numerous colours offered. Comes in a sheath and reasonably priced high quality lightweight knife

R&N Blades on Facebook

Screenshot_20220710_082135.jpg

Check out Montana Knife Company's Speed Goat. I have been very pleased with their knives.
Agree with MKC they are great. They "drop" knives about every 3-4 weeks and you have to be quick when they do. Sign up on their website and they will alert you a couple days before they are released. I have the speed goat and Blackfoot. Love them both but they are essentially the same knife with different handles

TYTO TI, or Havalon Piranta, I have both and most of the time only carry theTYTO with 4 extra blades and boned out and cape multiple Elk And deer

Agree with MKC they are great. They "drop" knives about every 3-4 weeks and you have to be quick when they do. Sign up on their website and they will alert you a couple days before they are released. I have the speed goat and Blackfoot. Love them both but they are essentially the same knife with different handles

I have a love-hate thing for the "drop". I wish I could buy a MKC whenever I want BUT there is a satisfying feeling when I get a knife within minutes of the drop. It definitely builds up the excitement and makes getting one feel more special. …..I guess I'm hooked…..I like the limited releases and will get a few more.

Ill be honest...30+ yrs ago i bought a KaBar when i first joined the Cdn forces as a recruit cause i thought it made me kool.... I used it for s few deer seasons ( im the primary field dresser on our hunts) got caught up in marketing hype and stowed it away...
Ive had no less than 10 different knives since then and 3 years ago i dug the KaBar out and sharpened it with a 1500 diamond stone

Im 57... I doubt ill ever go to another knife again

Wow all these custom knives that I don't know anything about it's about like custom rifles they are beautiful and expensive I'm sure! I
image.jpg
just carry a Gerber gator back folder it stays razor-sharp for a very long time also has a gut hook and not real pointy good for skinning

Wow all these custom knives that I don't know anything about it's about like custom rifles they are beautiful and expensive I'm sure! I View attachment 377884just carry a Gerber gator back folder it stays razor-sharp for a very long time also has a gut hook and not real pointy good for skinning
I also bought this one last year buck 119 ,nothing special but my father had one so it's kind of sentimental that's why I bought it
image.jpg

If anyone is interested PM me,all these knives were handmade by an Amish gentleman some are dated with his initials and year of production.they are unique but I would not call them custom,the finish is not on par with a true custom knife.if anyone is interested maybe we can work a deal.
image.jpg