Which Hammer for 30 RAR?

Gunpowder

Anyone not familiar with this round it was a Remington and DPMS brainchild that came out in about 09. 1/2" diameter case like a 450 BM or 284 Win that's 1.52" long. Ballistics like a 300 Savage. Very accurate little round in my 2 factory ar's.

Right now I shoot 125 sst at 2820 fps for deer/antelope. They do fine and are very accurate but the bc is only .3 so wind affects them alot and they lose speed fast. I consider it a 350 yd medium game round with these bullets. I'm curious what kind of speeds I could expect out of the 124 Hammer, or if I could step up to the 137. The G7 bc is something I'm not used to working with and wondered how they would compare to the g1 of .305 of the sst. I'd like to be able to stretch the range another 100 yds.

Of course there's other more conventional bullets also. 130 ttsx claim a .35 bc and should be able to start at 2800 fps. The 150 bt or sst would start about 2600 and have bc's of .435 and .415 respectively and would add some range I think. A 168 Amax at 2500 and bc of .475 would have ballistics about like a Grendel using 123's but I don't trust the Amax for hunting.

Lot's of ways to skin the cat but with all the benefits I'm reading about with the Hammers I thought this might be a good application for them. Thoughts?

So I would say either one of the hammers close to 130gr would work.
I'm not sure the bc will come into play that much at the distance you speak of. Gonna be more a speed game. Even the wind has less effect on faster Bullets. Less time in flight.
As for some the others. The amax you will have issues with opening with the slower speeds. Keep in mind the more weight you try and push the slower it goes. The slower it goes the less it will open. That is the problem most people that chase bc don't realize.
That's why even my 6.5 grendel is pushing 97gr not 123 the max distance is the same with flatter trajectory.
I would even consider the 100gr hammer made for the blk. Push it real fast and do t worry about the wind and drop.
Side not I push the 125 hammer out of my 350 legend and have had good luck with water jug testing at 400 but again I wouldn't try it on game except maybe a stray hog for obvious reasons

I keep my eyes on the market for this rifle. One of my buddies sold one to a co-hunter/friend before reaching out to me. I would have snagged it up instantly.

If it were me I'd play with the 151gr or 162gr Absolute Hunters due to the RAR twist rate ( link to all .308 bullets https://hammerbullets.com/?s=.308&post_type=product ).

You could get away with the lighter 124 Hammer Hunter or the 130 Shock Hammer.
Some will argue twist rate is an issue. But I've run a 1:8 TR on a bullet Hammer bullets suggest running a 1:11 TR and have had no issues.

I hope to eventually get one someday.
Good luck!!!

It's got a 10 twist so should be good for any of those suggested. How fast would you bet a 151 AH could be pushed if a cup/core 150 will do right at 2600? And what is the velocity envelope where these are effective?

Yeah Zen it's a sweet little round, I've got a Burris Eliminator III on one of them that I use the most, and it's more than accurate enough for p-dogs and coyotes to 350 at least. In fact last weekend called a coyote right before dark and spotted his head and neck at 321 and made the shot. I also have a large pile of 110 vmax and the poi is close enough over those ranges to be interchangeable with the 125 sst.

Snox I read your post on the 6.5, that's really impressive speeds. If I could do close to that with the 124 that's probably how I'd lean.

It's got a 10 twist so should be good for any of those suggested. How fast would you bet a 151 AH could be pushed if a cup/core 150 will do right at 2600? And what is the velocity envelope where these are effective?
Since it's a wildcat caliber it would be hard to say. I've been able to push other AH bullets 200-300fps faster after tinkering with a bunch of different powders.

I would expect 200 fps increase over CC with the right load combo. But it will be a longer bullet then CC so case capacity of the wildcat might be a limiting factor.

Yeah Zen it's a sweet little round, I've got a Burris Eliminator III on one of them that I use the most, and it's more than accurate enough for p-dogs and coyotes to 350 at least.
Im glad someone finally answered that question. I reached out to Burris 2 years ago. The field we PDog hunt is 800 yards E-W and 1200 yards N-S.

350 is good for the up close critters.

Don't get me wrong, the burris is good for readings on coyotes to at least 600, and further depending on lighting. The Eliminator 4 is supposedly better at ranging to quite a bit further. I just don't shoot pdogs further as I'm usually shooting off my sticks as coyote practice, and I don't need to shoot further lol. I shoot the dumb ones then get closer.

30 RAR is a factory round also, just rare now. Hopefully they produce more ammo/brass but if they don't I made sure I was set for life.

200 fps gain is what I'm seeing also, but reading up it seems the AH bc is much lower and it loses all that advantage fairly quickly. Still not sure but I think a 124 at 3k might be my best bet for 400 and in.

I'd suggest the 124HH. It is a sweet little bullet. I don't see the benefit of the 151AH in this size of case. I doubt you would be able to push the 151AH fast enough to overcome the higher speeds of the 124HH.

In my experience the largest bore size possible with highest stability and speed the better the performance with the Hammer's. Weight seems to have limited affect on the overall outcome of the bullets. From testing that others have done, there does seem to be a threshold where too light has an adverse affect on the outcome, but that seems to be in only the absolutely lightest bullets in each caliber. I've only tested bullets that were the lightest a couple of years ago. In the last 12 months there have been some incredibly light bullets come out from Hammer.

Recent Posts