Which Do You Prefer 44mm or 50mm

uzi 4 u

I recently purchased a savage 110ba in 338 lapua. After a lot of talking and research I think Ive narrowed it down to a Vortex Viper Pst scope. Just curious which objective you guys like 44 or 50 for the long range. I wont be doing any hunting with this rifle just shooting at the range.

Last edited:
More important I think is the scopes power range then its objective lens size for long range shooting. Only the 2.5-10 is offered with the 44mm. The 4-16 and the 6-24 come only with the 50mm.

Personally I think the 4-16 with a 44mm objective lens would be perfect for the horseback and hiking type hunter. The light gathering capabilities of the objective lens is no big deal to me and my type of hunting as I have taken more deer and elk between 10 and 12 than any other time of day. Size and weight is important. If your style of hunting is setting up and waiting for a animal to show itself the 50mm would be better as the best time for that is at the crack of dawn or just at dark where the light gathering abilities of the scope would be important.

Good choice going with the vortex. I prefer the 44mm because its a bit lighter and I hunt thick brush so I like a smaller profile scope anyway. But if you are a target shooter or a LONGRANGE shooter, then I believe I would go with the 50.

i don't think anyone will argue the 50 is better. i've never seen much if any difference, but if you're putting it on a range queen, get the 50!

Uzi , since you specified only Target shooting at "long Range " with a 338 , I would go with as high a Magnification as possible along with factoring in eye relief and cheek weld with your particular Rifle .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts