Which rangefinding binoculars do you prefer and why?

They're basically a set of vipers with a vortex rangefinder in them. Supposedly they will do to 1600 yards reflective and do angle comp that far. It'll be interesting to see if they solved the light transmission issue plauging most RF binoculars. IMHO, the only ones who have is Swaro although the new lecias are close.

When you say "light transmission issue" do you mean the glass is poor in low light or the display is too bright and therefore washes out the image?

When you say "light transmission issue" do you mean the glass is poor in low light or the display is too bright and therefore washes out the image?

I had an original set of geovids about 9 years ago, they had a light transmission rating of around 78%, so the image was always pretty dark. The RF portion of the binoculars cuts down on the light transmission, so the trade off is either poor light transmission or less lenses (each lense in a set of glass incrementally cuts down light transmission). These issues aren't appearant on the show room floor, and if you are say going from a set of 500.00 glass to a set of the old geovids or the horrible bushnells, the difference won't be as noticeable as if you were going from say a set of SLC HDs to a RF bino.

I tried out the HD-B and the EL range. Both ranged the same, but the EL's had the better glass to my eyes. I have had the ELs for 2 seasons .....no regrets.

I am anxious to check out Vortex's new offering...which would be the Fury HD.

I don't think it has the ability to accept custom profiles though for your ballistics, which kicks it off the list for me if that is in fact the case.

The Leica HD-B 2200's have great glass, but both me and my buddy had a REALLY difficult time getting the display nice and crisp in 2 different sets of them (outfitter gave us 2 sets to use on our hunt). Ranging was great, but the little SD card maneuver is a joke when you want to change out your ballistics table. Plus it cuts the ballistic info around 800 yards. Too many negatives for the price tag IMO.

I also got to try out a Bushnell Fusion and while the display gave you all kinds of info, the glass was really dark as compared to the Leica.

For now I am just rolling with a pair of Swarv binoculars and a Leica 1600 B.

I'm going to wait to see if the new Sig 2400 is all its cracked up to be, and I'm sure the price will drop a bit once we start getting some more hands on use and reviews coming in. I'm not one to be the electronics guinea pig.

I use the HD-B's. I love them with the exclusion of the noted items. Output in whole numbers, G1 BC, only one profile. I had the EL's and went to Leica after realizing they wouldn't range very well under 35-40 yards. (Bowhunting) I cant remember what they were rated at on the low end. That was three years ago. I always verify shots with applied ballistics over 800 yards due to the G1 BC.

I bought a Leica Geovid 10 x 42 HD-B in 2016. I'm thrilled with the glass & range finder combination, I can't give a comparison because I've never used any other combo rig. I gave up on Leica's Ballistic Calculator soon after getting it, and the factory front lens covers are pitiful. I use isnipe on my cellphone for a Ballistic Calculator, and I've modified a pair of butler creek lens covers with a pair of scissors for front lens covers.

The only problem I still struggle with is ranging at distance, I have a flinch whether it's a trigger or the button on the Leica, I roll my eye or jump at the break and can never get a good follow through. It can range to 2000+ yards, from a good rest I need several attempts to get 600, but on a good day the poll at 2000 takes me five or six tries.

It's great glass, with a good range finder built in, so I only have one piece to fool with. I brag on my glass constantly, if you can buy better, I can't afford it.

Thank you
Ed

I am curious about the Steiner Nighthunter LRF 8x30. I love there binoculars for the price. These are suppose to range to 1800 yards and cost about $1700 no ballistics program but I would rather use my phone.
Anyone ever have one of these in there hands?

I don't use a "Two In One" as in a Bino / Laser combo, I use Leupold Mark 4 10x50s and I also have a pair of their newer BX 2 Tactical 10x42's with the "L" shaped Retical, Where the Mk 4's have the standard Mil Dot on them, The BX 2 Tactical Bino's have a Retical that goes up to 40 Mil and at 4 to 5 and 9 to 10 mils they have 1/4 mil spacing, Although the Mk 4's are bigger I prefer them to BX 2 T's, The Glass is so good on both pairs I can see really fine details, Another reason I prefer the Mk 4's is because the Retical is smaller / Equal to a normal 10 power scope it is easy to ignore if you just want to use them for normal Glassing,

Marks out of 10, I'd say 9.8 for the Mk 4's and about 8.5 for the BX 2 T's.

hope this helps,

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.