Which crossbow to buy?

I had a $300 crossbow it worked great. Killed a couple deer with it. Cocking it with a rope was no joke. But I have no disabilities.

I bought a Ravin R26. If I had back or shoulder issues....the cranking cocking is as close to effortless as it will get. But pricy. There was a 30% sale on at the time, which is why I did it.

I finally took the plunge into Xbows this year. Like you, old shoulder injury gets aggravated by "repeated use" so Xbow it is…. I chose mine after a bunch of research and shooting several owned by buddies. It is like rifles, and trucks, and everything really. I would say try on as many as possible, look up "Death by Bunji" on YouTube and watch a bunch of his stuff.

I have a Wicked Ridge x400, really like it, fast, accurate (good arrows matter!), and easy to cock with the built in string/pulley thing. I don't like the crank cockers but I see why some do. After shooting a bunch, I realize that most mechanical work will be done by authorized folks. A recurve Xbow can be "just" as fast but you can do a lot on your own (change strings, limbs, try different limbs, have backups on hand/in case, take string off between shooting/hunting seasons…….)

So… research, shoot a bunch, make up you own mind based on needs (and wants).

I might have to get a recurve Xbow for a backup!!!

I bought my first Xbow this year, and after suggestions and research decided on the TenPoint S1 Turbo. It has the decock feature, about 380 fps so not very loud, it's very accurate out to 60 yds. so far, and far less wear/tear than the speed machines that rip through servings/strings etc...

I got the upgraded package deal through Wyvern, and am very happy with the set up...haven't hunted with it yet.
I have the same 10 Point bow and really like it. Decock feature is very handy and Simple. Shoots great and a compact bow..

I am an Excalibur crossbow fan. I like the simplicity of them. I have the Mega Matrix 405 and got an extra set of limbs for it for insurance. If I break a limb I can get back to hunting in 30 minutes. The only maintenance required is keeping the string waxed and inspected for stretching changing the brace height. A few twists of the string and I am good to go.

This past year I finally had to give up the compound due to shoulder issues from a car accident. My logic was I wanted something I knew I would be happy with for a few years and not have to upgrade. Plus I had my compound for a trade. My shop gave me $1000 for it. I got the Ravin R500. On the first shot it blew up. I took it back and they gave me new one. I got 8 shots out of that one till it left loose cutting my face and chin with the string. I took that one back and got a Tenpoint nitro 505 and haven't looked back. I can hit 2" dots out to 100. I would not shoot that far on a animal.

I am an Excalibur crossbow fan. I like the simplicity of them. I have the Mega Matrix 405 and got an extra set of limbs for it for insurance. If I break a limb I can get back to hunting in 30 minutes. The only maintenance required is keeping the string waxed and inspected for stretching changing the brace height. A few twists of the string and I am good to go.
Seems like they would be a bitch to cock without any letoff.

Seems like they would be a bitch to cock without any letoff.
It's not too bad cocking it. They have a rope cocking device for it that you can use for range sessions where you will be shooting a lot. I typically only use the cocking device for decocking after hunting and changing strings or adjusting brace height.

You need to jump over to crossbownation.com. Great group of guys. They have lots of info to pour through. Like all sports equipment manufacturers, each one has their fan boy club, so digest comments keeping that in mind. Some bows are known for speed, others for great triggers. Pay heed to those with many comments about unreliability or customer service problems. Crossbows are tempermental. There is nothing worse than a bow needing repair or maintenance work and the manufacturer not responding to a known problem.

You need to jump over to crossbownation.com. Great group of guys. They have lots of info to pour through. Like all sports equipment manufacturers, each one has their fan boy club, so digest comments keeping that in mind. Some bows are known for speed, others for great triggers. Pay heed to those with many comments about unreliability or customer service problems. Crossbows are tempermental. There is nothing worse than a bow needing repair or maintenance work and the manufacturer not responding to a known problem.
This is why I recommend you buy a crossbow from a reputable local shop. You might save some money online but the local shop will take care of you if you have issues.

This past year I finally had to give up the compound due to shoulder issues from a car accident. My logic was I wanted something I knew I would be happy with for a few years and not have to upgrade. Plus I had my compound for a trade. My shop gave me $1000 for it. I got the Ravin R500. On the first shot it blew up. I took it back and they gave me new one. I got 8 shots out of that one till it left loose cutting my face and chin with the string. I took that one back and got a Tenpoint nitro 505 and haven't looked back. I can hit 2" dots out to 100. I would not shoot that far on a animal.

There are a lot of bad reviews out there on the R500....seems they released it prematurely to hit the 500fps mark but the bow was not really up to the task over time. I researched all of this on my way to deciding on the R26. If you shoot realistic ranges, the speed difference is not significant.

I think I need one of these? Some areas we hunt have great deer but the property owners say no guns. No problem totally get it. Due to shoulder damage drawing a bow is difficult. So crossbow it is but I have no idea what's good whats bad whats needed whats not needed.
I would also like to mount my thermal on it for some night time coyote shooting.
Lighted nocks so I can find them available?
Not looking for the cheapest one either.
Thanks
Good evening
If you have not bought one yet we have a nice hardly ever used (JILL'S) Horton with all the trimming. We killed a few bucks with it and coyotes at night and can hit a silver dollar at 60yds with a bolt.
PM us
Len and Jill

I started with a Wicked Ridge about 12yrs ago when crossbows became legal to use in PA w/out being handicapped…I've had 2 wicked ridge and on my 3rd TenPoint…I like to upgrade every few years…Currently using a Shadow NXT for the last 3yrs. I've killed 13 deer with it in that time. I upgraded the scope to a Hawke XB1 and I use the factory Pro Elite 400 bolts and Rage Hypodermic Trypan 100gr broad heads. It hasn't let me down yet.
I do replace the strings and cables routinely. Ten Point has been great as far as any issues or warranty claims I've made over the years.
I am hoping to get a new snow this year with the decock feature. Maintenance is paramount. Keep it clean, keep the rail well lubed and ALWAYS test pre season. I # my bolts when sighting in and then shoot from 20-50yds. There is usually 1 bolt that will not perform as well out of a half dozen. I also do not reuse bolts once they have killed a deer.
Also check your nocks before sight in, they are not always properly glued in.