Which brake for a factory Sendero

yote bomber

A buddy of mine and I just got brand new Sendero II's in .300 RUM that we'd like to put breaks on. Problem is, we don't know which break to use. So, I figured there's no better place than hear to get 10 or 12 different answers.

The rifles will be used for long range hunting... of coyotes (and misc. big game). I'd really like to find one that's close to the same diam. as the muzzle... but effectiveness trumps asthetics. Shawn, Nate, Darrell... any answers for me???

I had Shawn install his break ( Defensive Edge ) on my factory Sendero 300 rum as well as a wyatts box and cheek piece. I couldn't be happier. If your using a scope with a 50 mm objective I would seriously consider a cheek piece too.

Mike

I coulden't be happeir with Nate's brake and work , the brake works great and looks cool not like everybody elses
Welcome To My Website
SSGV-portbrakesideview.jpg

+3 For Nate's Brake

I put Nates brake ona 7 RUM and it kicks less than my PSS 308.

I am sure the other (DE, Holland) are good, I just have no experience with them.

Willys

I tested the Vais brake for the first time today while breaking my new barrel in. I was impressed and many people speak highly of them. I like the fact they can be turned to match your rifles contour and they look sharp. They can be installed by a competent smith or shipped directly to them for install. I decided my 7STW Sendero will be wearing a Vais after today. Other than Vais, I like the looks of Hollands Q/D.

Here is their link.

Vais Arms Inc. - Muzzlebrakes.com

The Vias is a good brake and it does work well but the ported brakes are not as effecient as the baffel style brakes that anybody makes. We test a vias and a Badger Thruser bake head to hade on the same gun with the same ammo with the brakes being turned to the biameter of the barrel which was .900" , the badger brake was clearly the winner by vote of 7 people shooting it all said it worked better , and the Badger realy isin't that effecient of a baffel brake not nearly as much as Nate , Kirby or Shawn's
another thing to think about is that if you shoot a vias onn the ground your going to kick up alot of dirt and dust and at high enough speed to make it a safety hazard.
One last thing that is my personal oppinion is that the Vias brake is over priced , its a very simple desgine to make either on manual tools or CNC , hell you could make it in a drill press with an indexing head.

The Edge goes to DE

The Vais brake works very well. I had one installed on my 300 RUM. However, if you take shots in the field from the prone position, the Vais will channel the excess gases in all directions - including down. The result is a lot of dirt and debris being blown back up and into the front scope lens. I switched to a defensive edge and the problem disappeared. It works just as well, perhaps even better - and looks great.

you're correct but

The Badger, Holland are effective and it's true about dirt kicking up, especially if the wind is hard in your face. I don't hunt with my brake on, too **** loud!

I also choose the Vias because I must remove the brake to shoot in NRA Long Range matches. Brakes are not allowed. When I screw it back on, I don't have to worry about "timing" as you do with a horizontal brake.

As far as cost, it is relative. It's like, if you can afford a $50,000 truck, why complain about the cost of fuel?

I guess that's why there are a bunch of brakes out there.

Yotebomber,

I have an Holland QD on a 9 1/2 LB Rem 700 sporter in 338 RUM shooting 300 SMKs at 2730 FPS and 225 NABs somewhere over 3000 FPS (some idiot shot the rods off of my chrone, both sides:rolleyes:),

I have a Defensive Edge 4 port on a 270 AM.

Both are side vents with the Holland having vents on the top.

My 5' 5" - 105 # stick of a grandson shoots the 338 RUM w/225 NABs at the over 3000 FPS mark all afternoon without a problem. An he's a wimp just like his grandpa.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.