Sendero and a Muscle brake

Boman

I've decided to try out a Muscle brake on a new Rem Sendero 7mm rem mag. I know the Sendero barrel is .820 at the crown. I'm trying to decide which size brake to order. For those of you who have the Muscle, which size did you go with? From reading about them it seems a mini mag or original 3 port would work? I would prefer a round brake that matches the barrel countour but I'm told not to turn down the muscle brake. So I'll probably go slabbed? What did you go with? Why? If you have pictures that would be great. Anything with a Sendero would be great. Thanks

I have the 3 port with top ports and the 4 port. Both work fine. Can't tell much difference. My barrel diameters at the muzzle range from .750 to .900. Gary

I've actually tried one of Ross' designs. They work great. Absolutely worked better than all the radials I've tried. But my curious nature wants to try something new.

I use muscle brakes on my rifles as well as install them for my friends. I have nothing but good things to say about them. I would go with the mini muscle on a 7mag. I have one on my 280 Ackley, 7 mag and 300 Win and am impressed with all. Round or slabbed, whatever your preference, they look good and work great.

On the big boys like ultra mags, lapuas and larger I recommend the Assassin brake by J E Custom.

Mountainman56,

Any chance you could post or text me a picture of that mini brake on your 280 ackley? And any others youve done? I'd like to see how you taper them.

I agree on the Assasin brake. I will be putting one on something, just not sure what yet.

Round mini magnum on my Ackley turned to barrel diameter (not recommended but couldn't resist.......got a hundred or better rounds through it so far) Also a slabbed mini mag on a 300 Win mag sporter barrel and a 4 port magnum muscle on my 300 RUM. Wanted to put an assassin on this but I had threading issues from a previously installed brake. Had to build a sleeve to go from 9/16 x 28 (weird size) to 3/4 x 24. Works very well but should have a shallower taper. Likely going to re-barrel this one in the not too distant future anyway.

Methinks a round mini muscle tapered to barrel diameter on a Sendero would look pretty good. JM2C

Attachments

• 280 Ackley2.jpg
    280 Ackley2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Muzzle brake1.jpg
    Muzzle brake1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 300 RUM.jpg
    300 RUM.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Mountainman56,

Thank you for posting the pictures. Those brakes look great. Why do they not recommend turning the brake down? Also, how much did you have to take it down? I actually really like the sharp angle on that last brake. I like it better than a slowly sloping brake.

When you turn them down you can leave an insufficient amount of metal at the web bases which can result in brake failure and becoming really unpopular at a shooting range. If I ever sell this rifle, which I doubt, I will have to install another brake.

Here is another picture of a 50 year old custom 7 mag Saturn rifle and brake with web bases about the same size as mine. This rifle has been used successfully all over the world...........and the brake is aluminum! Once I saw this I stopped worrying about mine. :) Kind of a goofy lookin brake but it does work.

Attachments

• Saturn brake.jpg
    Saturn brake.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 82
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.