Which barrel vise

Sykes

Looking into getting some addition barrels for my Seekins action and wondering which barrel vise to go with. I'd like to be able to do CF barrels and steel. Dont wanna spend a fortune but don't wanna a cheapo either.

Thanks for your input

Just got a new one and like it so far, it's a mechforce. Made a mount for it to fit in my table top vice so I can move it around when I am not using it.
DA8103FB-5067-4B16-AC04-14887E70C06F.jpeg
800891F0-E43E-42B2-BB78-90023EB4B03A.jpeg

Depends on whether you're going to ever need to remove "factory" barrels, or mess around with milsurps.
I've got two in the shop, one a heavy custom I machined from aluminum that I make bushings for, and the other the Grizzly/Viper style that doesn't require bushings.

Viper style, because the pre-contoured surfaces don't fit a barrel precisely have limited surface area contact and you can't put a lot of torque on a barrel before it spins.
Yeah, it'll usually handle the necessary 60 or so ft lbs- but most factory barrels are put on monkey-tight and you need a heavy duty vise with bushings machined (or epoxy bedded) to precisely fit the contour of the barrel shank (Try a Tikka T3...)

The Brownell's barrel vise, and wrench are heavy-duty ( I use the wrench), several common bushings are available, and you can use a bushing "blank" with Steel Bed epoxy to cast one to fit any contour.

Depends on whether you're going to ever need to remove "factory" barrels, or mess around with milsurps.
I've got two in the shop, one a heavy custom I machined from aluminum that I make bushings for, and the other the Grizzly/Viper style that doesn't require bushings.

Viper style, because the pre-contoured surfaces don't fit a barrel precisely have limited surface area contact and you can't put a lot of torque on a barrel before it spins.
Yeah, it'll usually handle the necessary 60 or so ft lbs- but most factory barrels are put on monkey-tight and you need a heavy duty vise with bushings machined (or epoxy bedded) to precisely fit the contour of the barrel shank (Try a Tikka T3...)

The Brownell's barrel vise, and wrench are heavy-duty ( I use the wrench), several common bushings are available, and you can use a bushing "blank" with Steel Bed epoxy to cast one to fit any contour.
i see how old the post is. Most may not be around?
I have a Viper for lightweight work & a Brownell's heavy duty you buy aluminum or steel inserts for. I need to make a couple of custom bushings using Brownell's bushings and steel putty as you & Brownel recomends. I'm not looking forward to it. Hoping it'll be easier & not as messy as I expect.