which action size

ohnomrbillk

Hello all,
I am in the beginning of my next build, and need a little help. The action will most likely be a rem 700. Cartridge overal length will be very close to 3.00 inches. Do I use a short action with a longer box and just barely have enough room, or do i use a long action and have some slack? This will be for a hunting rifle, and 308 bolt face, if it makes any difference.
Thanks in advance,
wk

The cartridge is 22/6mm. Several other shooters were kind enough to give me their load data. They are loading with COL at 2.970 to 3.010 inches. They are all using dedicated benchrest actions with one exception of a long action rem 700. Meichele, thanks for explaining how to clarify.
wk

Well the remmy 700 short action will only allow you to seat bullets to 2.825-2.830" if you demand to use it as a reliable repeater. If you are ok using it as a single shot, than 3.010" will do just fine with the short action. Beings how these loads are loaded to this length, I assume heavy VLD bullets are going to be used. If this is the case, and you require the absolute maximum velocity from these loads, you will be best suited with the long action. If you can squeeze your OACL down to 2.825" and sacrifice a bit of speed, then the short action will serve you well. The nice thing about short actions is that they are a bit more ridged than LA's and are a tad more accurate. The overall rifle length is shorter and more compact as well as the overall weight of the rifle is a bit lighter. But higher performance comes with a price. Longer rifles, heavier rifles ect....Weigh out what you require from your caliber and load and plan the action around that.

I'm contemplating building one of these also. I read an article by Ross Seyfreid in G&A a few years back and I'd been wanting one eversince. Anyway, I probably will opt for a shorter action...a single shot like the 40X or Savage. I think Ross used the 95grain JLK on his rifle and this thing is almost an inch long. If you want a repeater, then long action is the only route. Are you gonna have the improved version? You should! DF

"Are you gonna have the improved version? You should!"

Desert Fox,
You may consider the not improved version. Hornady has dies for about 50 bucks, and no need to fire form. Just a thought. If you happen to have the source, I sure would like to read that article. If you know what issue that was, I'd appreciate it.
WK

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts