Which $1000 Action

While I have my share of some very nice custom actions, I agree with the positive comments about the Savage action. Aside from not being the prettiest, and not being able to use my beloved Jewel triggers, given a good barrel, they leave little to be desired for most applications....other then bragging rights....
Shown: Savage/Criterion, DIY barrel installation, and Surgeon/Kreiger, both identical loads in 6.5x47L. Both, competition rifles.
BD72863A-846A-4556-9A56-79C90F034C10.jpeg E3939277-DFDA-4BFF-B2C4-4ABA02459A71.jpeg

The Bighorn TL3 or SR3 are both awesome actions. I have friends who own them both. The Origin is the less expensive version and all 3 will accept Savage threads. I personally like Defiance actions and they are now making the Tenacity which is a lower cost action at $885 but I don't believe they make one thats compatible with Savage threads.

Agreed! I have the SR2 and as you noted, simply awesome!

I've been using Savage actions for years on many builds,they work well but do have a few flaws with the extractor design. There are easy fixes for that,and once done,there are very reliable actions.
While the Savage action isn't very smooth when new,they break in very fast,and can be operated with one finger easily.

I built a rifle last year with the Shilen DGR action made by Stiller. It's a great action,smoother than the Savage,but since it uses the Savage bolt head design,it has the same extractor issues that a Savage action does. Once again,this problem is easily fixed.

I'm still waiting on my LH ARC Nucleus action to get shipped to me,so I can't personally comment on it.
From what I've read,and watched on video's that guy's have made,the case doesn't come up high enough when it clears the magazine feed lips to be captured by the Nucleus extractor. Once the case starts to enter the barrel chamber,the extractor grabs the case. So you basically have a push feed bolt until the case head gets to the front of the ejection port,then it becomes a controlled feed.
Ted's a pretty smart guy,I'm sure he will come up with a solution for this.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.