Which 700? NEWBIE help please!

Not sure if this is an option, but if you want more out of it, and feel like shooting those magic bc .338's you can just replace the barrel with a 338/300 (or 338 EDGE from Defensive edge and Shaun Carluck (Its mispelled, sorry Shaun)).

My original plan was just to get that, true the action, replace with a Pac-Nor barrel and bed using JB-Weld (Cheaper than the Accu-Glass :D ), put on one of my many Tasco 4-16x50 scopes with a 20 moa base. (I have a bunch of those TasCos that i bought for $100 at a gun show, not a great scope but for the price i can put one on everything, and $10 you cant beat).

For under 1K i think you could get this set up nicely and then next tax return get a new scope.

(I am not a gunsmith and not very experianced with this so please take with a grain of salt, and consult a compent gunsmith and do not take my word. I would hate to have you blow 1K on something i reccomend when it may not be anything great).

I have been wondering along this line also, I like the .308 and have put a lot of them downrange, but, am also thinking of getting out of the 5-600 yard box and going further, right now just looking at options, sure got a lot of them.

Sportsmans Warehouse has 700 SPS (i think) on sale for 399, was looking at getting one for the action in a 300 RUM.

Is that in store only, cant find anything on line.

That must be a non varmint barrel price?

I bought the 308 one last year.Now I'm looking for the 223. Dicks is still 449 for there package varmint barrel ,308 and 223.

Thanks
Rob:)

Attachments

• IMG_0011 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0011 (Medium).JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 12
call them up it is the springs store. Ask for Mike H (I forget is last name, he has been unofficially nicknamed by me Mike Hornaday as he recomended their bullets for my AR). 719-597-9200 ext. 1 tell him the guy who trades brass with him sent ya (mention .270 and he'll know me).

300 RUM. Sorry.

Im not 100% sure its the SPS but i know for sure there is a 700 chambered in 300 RUM there for 399. I have not stayed up to date with all the new classifacations of 700's. It has a black with grey marble.

"In fact, a buddy bought a Diamondback and decided a year later to upgrade to a Viper. He smacked it on a table, send it in for a warranty replacement, and opted for an upgrade. No questions asked. Their customer service is bar none the best of the best."

Wow, I'm sure if enough guys pull that crap, Vortex will either have to raise their prices, cheapen the quality level, or change their customer service policies. Amazing!

I have seen several in store specials at Dicks, and taken advantage of them, I could be very happy with a .300 in the Varmint model at that price. As most of us could.

Well im thinking seriously about getting a lathe, found a few around for pretty cheap. If i get one ill be buying one in 300 RUM, then once i get skilled on the lathe blueprint and rebarrel it.

"In fact, a buddy bought a Diamondback and decided a year later to upgrade to a Viper. He smacked it on a table, send it in for a warranty replacement, and opted for an upgrade. No questions asked. Their customer service is bar none the best of the best."

Wow, I'm sure if enough guys pull that crap, Vortex will either have to raise their prices, cheapen the quality level, or change their customer service policies. Amazing!

I wondered if I was the only one thinking that!!:rolleyes:

I believe that I would rethink having someone like that for a buddy. There would be a LOT of distance put in. Bad enough Washington D C is run like this.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.