Which 700? NEWBIE help please!

98camaro28

I have been hunting for many years and have just not gotten into target shooting. I would eventually like to shoot out to 1000+. Right now I have a Marlin XL7 .270 I hunt with and a Savage .223 to mess around with, and would like to get a Remington 700 to start doung my long range practice with. I plan on eventually doing a custom build on it, but until I am adequate enough to shoot even a factory 700 good enough, Im gonna leave everything alone. I have a Vortex Viper, and 2 SS's (10x and 16x). Which model 700 should I go with? SPS varmint? SPS tactical? Which round? .300 WSM? .308? Any help is greatly appreciated. Just looking for what will give me the best out-of-the-box performance with great aftermarket support for about $500. I also plan to hunt whitetail out to about 400-500.

BTW, I was in the military and have been hunting for years. I just need some advise, as I have never been this involved.

Either Rifle in the 700 Series is good, but i will tell you also you won't be able to get either one for less than 750. Also I shoot Long Range as well and I shoot in F class open cause I use a Remington 700 SPS chambered in 270. You don't have to have a 308 to shoot in competition, I do just as well as some of the other people I shoot with and sometimes even better.

Can't find them for less than 750? They are everywhere for 550.

I plan on more than likely changing the stock too. So which one should I go with?

Well the Full Tactical SPS in 308 around where I live is about 750. It really doesn't matter, its up to you on which one you want to get. They are both the 700 action its just a few cosmetic features that are different, and like all Remington 700 Rifles they shoot impeccably accurate out of the box.

Can't find them for less than 750? They are everywhere for 550.

I plan on more than likely changing the stock too. So which one should I go with?
last spring i saw sps varmint for 499 with scope and mts and a 40 rebate. once you add a stock p around the you are up around the price of a used sendero.. you might want to try to find a rem 700 vs in 308.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.