Help with Model 700 build please

Crittergitter, did you decide not to go to the barrel block? That would stop cantilevering and flexing of the action and it would become just an appendage that loads and fires the round. I've never used one but it seems like a winner to me. Keep the long heavy barrel, and eliminate the need to change anything on the receiver.

Good luck, Tom

Crittergitter, did you decide not to go to the barrel block? That would stop cantilevering and flexing of the action and it would become just an appendage that loads and fires the round. I've never used one but it seems like a winner to me. Keep the long heavy barrel, and eliminate the need to change anything on the receiver.

Good luck, Tom

I haven't made up my mind. Right now I'm limiting my options to things I can do at home for nearly $0. I have done all of the work on this gun with the exception of installing the barrel, brake, and recoil lug, and I honestly don't have much in it. I did consider replacing the stock. Once I decide if I want to keep the current stock, and see how it shoots with a new scope, I will give serious consideration to the barrel block. It does make a lot of sense.

Last edited:
The purpose of free floating the barrel is to make sure there is no pressure points on your barrel. If you bed it will match the bedding perfectly and there wont be a higher pressure point in one certain point. I would sugest bedding farther out. It wouldnt hurt to bed clear out to the end of your stock. That would take out a lot of the "pry bar effect" your barrel has on your action. Also you could sleeve your action. That would stiffen it more than anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.