Which 280 Ackley Dies

Bushing or no bushing, carbide or not carbide? Micrometer seating die or not?

I am ordering a set of Whidden bushing dies for the 6.5-280 Ackley when it is finished. That got me to thinking about a building a 280 Ackley. There are quite a few options in that arena. Now I am wondering what everyone is using with a SAMMI chamber 280 Ackley.

Thanks
Using carbide bushings will lessen the formation of a donut at the neck shoulder junction, which will play havoc if your bullet is in it.

Bushing or no bushing, carbide or not carbide? Micrometer seating die or not?

I am ordering a set of Whidden bushing dies for the 6.5-280 Ackley when it is finished. That got me to thinking about a building a 280 Ackley. There are quite a few options in that arena. Now I am wondering what everyone is using with a SAMMI chamber 280 Ackley.

Thanks
Yes bushing, yes micrometer seating, I don't care about carbide but if you think you will be shooting over 1000 rounds you may consider it. Just not a big deal either way.

I have a pair of 280ai's that were both cut with the same reamer…and I use Redding full body die (standard- not bushing) and a micrometer seating die. I've messed with the bushing does with my other rifles, but never really felt that my needs justified the purchase. I think a quality set of dies will meet most needs. I've also moved on to Petersen brass now and I like it, it's pretty dang consistent.

I built the rifles when my kids started hunting. We have killed lots of elk and a few big bucks since and the boys took to them quite well. I'm building another for me, so they can take theirs with them when they head out in their own. I recently purchased a second set of the Redding dies so I have one to send with each rifle. They did fine for a while using the same setup for both, but they do great with their own dies due to ever so slight differences. But now when I shoot them side by side, alternating shots at 400 they shoot about a 3" group. PFG by my standards.

The 280ai is just sweet. Not too fierce, but dang sure gets the job done. Not too loud, not too sharp on recoil. And the cartridges just look impressive. It's not uncommon for somebody at hunting camp to ask me what it is…many never heard of it. I have a 7mm mag too, and I prefer the 280 unless I want to shoot Bullets over 160gr. I actually shoot mostly 140 Berger's out of the 280 and they end up producing a bit more hamburger, but they also get the job done efficiently.

JM

Hey Hard Rock have you had any difficulties with the Redding body die concentricity? Are you using a single stage, multi stage, or progressive press for sizing? TIA.
Sorry for a late reply I use a single stage Rock Chucker I be been loading since I was 14 yrs old I have 58 yrs loading experience and have all ways used reg dies other than match seaters and some Forester dies but recently in the last few yrs have gone too Redding type s bushing dies with those type dies I can produce more precise ammo and have control of neck tension also use the same sizer for the parent case of diff calibers not that much cost difference in the scheme of things one again my oppoligies for a late reply had our family gathering for Thanksgiving so I can go too my West Tx ranch and do some hunting this week

I've got 3 280s in the vault one of them is built with a 9 twist on a win mod 54 action pre mod 70 highly figured walnut 22 line per in no boarder checkering first time too shoot it thought after my first shot I was missing the whole target but too my surprise they where all going in the same hole been thinking about making a 280 ai out of that one

Sorry for a late reply I use a single stage Rock Chucker I be been loading since I was 14 yrs old I have 58 yrs loading experience and have all ways used reg dies other than match seaters and some Forester dies but recently in the last few yrs have gone too Redding type s bushing dies with those type dies I can produce more precise ammo and have control of neck tension also use the same sizer for the parent case of diff calibers not that much cost difference in the scheme of things one again my oppoligies for a late reply had our family gathering for Thanksgiving so I can go too my West Tx ranch and do some hunting this week
No worries. It's that time of year where we're in a rush lol. Happy Thanksgiving!

I was debating with myself on a 280 AI too. For me it would be a LR hunter, so either dies would work. I looked at the Hornady dies as they were cheaper. But a micrometer seater would be nice.
A micrometer seater die is fantastic. I got one for all my calibers. They are fast, and precise.

Another thing to consider is if you like to shoot all kinds of different bullets through a cartridge. I generally pick one bullet and stick with it after I develop a load. Something like a 280 rem or 280 AI I'd pick a LR 175-180 gr bullet and be done. So regular dies would be fine. For someone who would shoot three or four different bullets a micrometer seater die would be a nice thing to have.