Which .264 cal to run 156 Berger’s

JP20

I'm looking to add another gun and the main requirement is the 156 Berger's as my bullet. My question is what do you feel the most efficient cartridge is for that bullet? It will be my lightweight deer rifle and elk rifle for the wife. Already decided on a NX8 for the glass

I'm looking to add another gun and the main requirement is the 156 Berger's as my bullet. My question is what do you feel the most efficient cartridge is for that bullet? It will be my lightweight deer rifle and elk rifle for the wife. Already decided on a NX8 for the glass

Are you having it built or a factory rifle offering? Budget? What do you consider lightweight? Do you reload?

For factory and if you can wait, checkout the new Savage ultralite in 6.5 PRC @ 6 LBS >>> https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57577

Last edited:
Haven't decided on custom or factory, been looking at fierce firearms and seekings a little bit. And yes I reload

I would definitely go with one of the faster 6.5's or it's just a wash with minimal to no gain over a 140 other than just a bigger bullet. The problem is bigger 6.5's can be tough on barrels if you wanna shoot them alot.

264WM will push a 156 to 3100 MV when broke in. 26" barrel/ 8 twist. And accurate.
Rhett

Agreed! She's not light but specifically built to propel the 156 Berger with 26" x-caliber 1:7" 5R Sendero contour. I just need to find the time to headspace it. :(

.264 WM Savage 111F LA.jpg

.264 WM with 2-piece beast brake.jpg

.264 WM Savage 111F LA + Eliteiron.jpg

Last edited:
I have always had "a thing" for the 264 W.M. Had one for a short while about 10 years ago but I was young(er) and naive(er?) so I had it built on an action that was too short to optimize the cartridge and put a 1:9T barrel on it instead of 1:8. I was disappointed with not being able to take full potential of the cartridge, along with a few other annoying characteristics of that particular rifle, so down the road it went. That's a long winded way of saying, I wouldn't hesitate to do a 264 Win Mag and I probably will one of these days. Also 6.5 SS/SST/Max, 6.5-284, 6.5 SAUM, and 6.5 WSM all intrigue me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.