Which .264 cal to run 156 Berger’s

Cody Adams has done well with an 8 twist .260 AI and a 29 inch barrel. That would be about the minimum. I have a 28 inch .260 AI, so I will give them a try, especially if I look at elk.

I have always had "a thing" for the 264 W.M. Had one for a short while about 10 years ago but I was young(er) and naive(er?) so I had it built on an action that was too short to optimize the cartridge and put a 1:9T barrel on it instead of 1:8. I was disappointed with not being able to take full potential of the cartridge, along with a few other annoying characteristics of that particular rifle, so down the road it went. That's a long winded way of saying, I wouldn't hesitate to do a 264 Win Mag and I probably will one of these days. Also 6.5 SS/SST/Max, 6.5-284, 6.5 SAUM, and 6.5 WSM all intrigue me.
Built mine on a M70 EW w/ Bartlien 3B, 0.165 freebore, found a STW mag box, follower and spring on MWG and worked the ejector a little on the belt sander. Awesome build for me.

IMHO, a CM doesn't have the oomph to drive that bullet. I'd suggest at least a 6.5-284 7.5 twist, or larger chambering.
Definitely 6.5x284 Norma,I run mine at 3050 ft./s so the test mentioned that has the 284 in second place may not be entirely accurate just my opinion though and yes I shoot a 6.5x284 Norma so I am biased

Last edited:
Why limit it to 6.5? If you are trying to launch a heavy bullet at very high velocity to deliver big energy on target at long range, you are getting outside of the parameters in which the 6.5 shines. 140gr 6.5 at 2700-3000 fps is a ballistic perfect storm for accuracy at distance. However it does not deliver moose and elk dropping energy at distance. The 6.5CM is a long range target cartridge and an amazing paper puncher at long distances with minimal recoil. Bullets larger than 140 gr move outside of those perfect storm parameters. Why not just use any number of larger caliber, already proven cartridges to launch heavier bullets at high velocity?

I'm looking to add another gun and the main requirement is the 156 Berger's as my bullet. My question is what do you feel the most efficient cartridge is for that bullet? It will be my lightweight deer rifle and elk rifle for the wife. Already decided on a NX8 for the glass
I would look at the 6.5 Sherman Short (SS) or as elkcoholic stated the 6.5 Sherman Max. Then I would have Nick at Straight Jacket Armory do it up in one of his Rellik Packlite rifles... Super light weight hunting rig for sure..

Well you said light so that says to me short action. I'd do the saum, Sherman, or prc.

my 22" prc runs a 156 at 2910. it'll go 3000 but it's hot. I run the short barrel with suppressor.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.