Which .264 cal to run 156 Berger’s

I'm looking to add another gun and the main requirement is the 156 Berger's as my bullet. My question is what do you feel the most efficient cartridge is for that bullet? It will be my lightweight deer rifle and elk rifle for the wife. Already decided on a NX8 for the glass
Call Berger they will be helpful answering all your questions.

I have shot the 160 matrix in my 264 win with no problems and just tried the new atip bullets also. I had issues with the atip. I also ran the matrix in a 26 nosler with no problems with a 3250 fps. Saying this there is one thing that must be done when shooting long 6.5 bullets you have to have a very long throat. In my case I have a match reamer in 264 win with a long throat and the 26 nosler seems to have a longer one also. I am a fan of the 264 win at times I've had as many as 4 rifle in 264. They have always done all I wanted. The 26 nosler done well also but was a little over bore and in a light rifle had more recoil than I wanted in a hunting rifle. I'd go with the 264 win but remember the throat or you will be seating bullets so far in the case that you can have pressure problems (atip) and lose case capacity and everything you need is ready available.

After my 26 Nosler took an unexpected turn, I started loading the 156s for my 6.5-284 Norma. Getting 3000 fps with RL26 and not pushing on it. Before the 26 issues I was getting 3225 fps with a load right in the middle. I did have it throated for the 156s to be seated base of boat tail at shoulder neck junction. I might rebarrel and revisit that. I know of several guys shooting em outta the 6.5 PRC as well as the SAUM and WSM and they are having good luck with RL 26, H1000 and N565. Good luck

I'm looking to add another gun and the main requirement is the 156 Berger's as my bullet. My question is what do you feel the most efficient cartridge is for that bullet? It will be my lightweight deer rifle and elk rifle for the wife. Already decided on a NX8 for the glass
Get the 6.5 Sherman Short no brainer for a short action 6.5 and the 156.

Much depends on the distance she is planning on shooting and the velocity where the 156 maintains efficiency. If you are planning to stay within 500 yards or so the 260 or CM will work well. The PRC/SAUM/Sherman/WSM will get you an additional 2-3 hundred additional yards (750 for elk/1000 for deer). Since you are planning on something light weight the 260 or CM may be a good option.

My 6.5cm likes the 147 elbm's, 1500 yards milk jug .

OP wants to use 156 Berger and 6.5 CM is not an option. Also for deer and elk, not milk jugs.

I agree, cm is not an option for me. 6.5 prc, 26 nosler, 264 wm, etc

Cheers!

My 6.5 GAP Mountain Rifle that I bought from Len who owns this site shoots Copper Creek156 Bergers at 2850 fps on my LabRadar (Copper Creek box says it should be doing 2930 fps). The barrel has less than 100 rounds and isn't fully broken in. I flattened a Wyoming elk standing broadside at 250 yards and I pole axed a Colorado bull running full out parallel to me at 150 yards. I'm sold on the 156 Bergers.

Be different and go with a 6.5 Rem Mag in a Tikka. It has a bit more power than the PRC and 6.5/284 and will feed better. I haven't shot any heavier than 140's so cant respond with numbers, but a Bit more effort to make brass, good thing is it can be made from any belt mag ie 7RM cases

though I will say if Lapua or Norma starts making the PRC, I just might change my mind

I just built a 26 nosler....I love it.. shoots in a dime...3470 fps....love it...

I bought this Winchester .264 with a 1-9 twist and 26" barrel to shoot 140-142 gr bullets at 3000 fps. and it does. I found it at a local gun shop, it was a trade in the same day I bought it at a very good price..

Attachments

• DSCN0372.JPG
    DSCN0372.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 87
  • DSCN0373.JPG
    DSCN0373.JPG
    994 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN0374.JPG
    DSCN0374.JPG
    644.6 KB · Views: 58
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.