Which .25?

I think it's easy. Go to Lapua, Alpha, Peterson... Find a quality parent case they support in the volume range you want and bang away. Life is just too short to screw with poor quality brass. I'm not sure about Weatherby brass so I'd probably not go there. PRC would be tough to beat. The Sherman if there's brass available...

I built my 6mm AI on a 270 action for that reason and don't regret it. However, I get to thinking if I am going to go long action, why not do a 25-06 AI. Then again, why not step on up to the Weatherby since I have already gone to the long action? Where does it end? 😂
And it never ends... There is always something else to chase if you're just after more. For me it's about trying to find balance. Between what I want and what I need. Between performance and barrel life & recoil.

And it never ends... There is always something else to chase if you're just after more. For me it's about trying to find balance. Between what I want and what I need. Between performance and barrel life & recoil.
I get that but if 90% of this rifle's life is spent hunting, is barrel life really that important? Of course I want to have a rifle I can hunt with for many years but I don't think shooting 25-50 times a year, after fire forming and load development of course, is going to mean the rifle will be rendered useless after a few years. I don't shoot my rifles to the point that they are hot, I will stop and let them cool or cool them myself before I let that happen. I guess I wasn't to the point as much as I should have been. After break in and load development I likely won't shoot over 25 times a year and I will move on to another chambering and focus on that a while. I like to have a new project that I can focus on on my days off. Shoot one week a few times and then clean the following week and I might not have a chance to go back to the range for a few weeks again.

I get that but if 90% of this rifle's life is spent hunting, is barrel life really that important? Of course I want to have a rifle I can hunt with for many years but I don't think shooting 25-50 times a year, after fire forming and load development of course, is going to mean the rifle will be rendered useless after a few years. I don't shoot my rifles to the point that they are hot, I will stop and let them cool or cool them myself before I let that happen. I guess I wasn't to the point as much as I should have been. After break in and load development I likely won't shoot over 25 times a year and I will move on to another chambering and focus on that a while. I like to have a new project that I can focus on on my days off. Shoot one week a few times and then clean the following week and I might not have a chance to go back to the range for a few weeks again.
Then that's part of your equation that you are trying to balance. If you don't need over 800 rounds of barrel life, build the f@#&ing laser. I'm sure it will be a blast to shoot and hammer whatever you hit. A hyper speed 25 may be in my future too since I have a 25 cm that will last a long time for practice.

Then that's part of your equation that you are trying to balance. If you don't need over 800 rounds of barrel life, build the f@#&ing laser. I'm sure it will be a blast to shoot and hammer whatever you hit. A hyper speed 25 may be in my future too since I have a 25 cm that will last a long time for practice.
That is what I'm thinking too. I've actually thought about building a 25 CM for exactly what you just said and then a laser for hunting.

If you were building a new rifle in 25 caliber for hunting and occasional target shooting, which one would it be and why? I'm in western NC so extreme ranges aren't likely but I would like to have the option to shoot the longer heavier bullets but probably would not purpose build it for one particular bullet. I like speed so I am thinking 100-115 grain bullets for the most part but I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!
Back 17 years ago Winchester came out with a 25WSSM. A little better ballistics than the 25-06. Got one for Jill and she shot a few deer and Plains Game Animals in Africa. I wanted to use it for Coyotes.
Too bad the WSSMs were short lived.

I have a Mesa stock and a Preferred 27"/ 1:7.5 twist on the way. Just going with the plain Jane 25-06 on a Tikka action. I have the 135 Bergers on the way as well. Going to try them with RL26 and N565. Pretty excited

I'm thinking I would regret not being able to get the speed I would want. Or at least the speed that I think I want. Maybe I'm overthinking it but I have always liked "odd" calibers instead of the norm. I love the 280 Remington, 6mm AI that I had built and other out of the spotlight calibers. I'm not sure what I will end up with at this point. Might just build a lightweight 6AI since I have the dies and components already. I just thought I would like to work with the 25 caliber.
If you've got 6mm dies and brass that's probably the way I'd go. When you consider new dies and probably different powder, bullets it'd be less expensive to build with what you've got. On top of that as far as I know there's more selection with6mm bullets and it will kill as well on most medium size animals WITH the proper bullet choice. The venerable .243 has killed a.train load of deer so a.6 AI should also.

If you've got 6mm dies and brass that's probably the way I'd go. When you consider new dies and probably different powder, bullets it'd be less expensive to build with what you've got. On top of that as far as I know there's more selection with6mm bullets and it will kill as well on most medium size animals WITH the proper bullet choice. The venerable .243 has killed a.train load of deer so a.6 AI should also.
I appreciate it and I think you are right. As much as I want to work with something different right now might not be the best time.

So I have been thinking and I am going to get a scope for the 257 WBY that I have and put a cheap old Remington stock I have on it and save the nice wood stock that came from the factory on it from being beaten up. I'll start looking for some components along the way. I have some Norma brass and a few Berger 115's I believe already. When I first got the rifle I had a short amount of time before season that year and threw together a few loaded rounds and sighted in the scope that was on it and went hunting. I removed the scope and used it on another rifle and never really messed with it again. I have VX5's on two of my other rifles and an old Zeiss Conquest 3-15 on another and multiple VX2's and VX3's. If you were going to buy a new scope in the 15-20 power range, where would you look first? I'd love to stay under $1,500. I'd also like to stay on the lighter side as far as weight goes too.

Last edited:
So I have been thinking and I am going to get a scope for the 257 WBY that I have and put a cheap old Remington stock I have on it and save the nice wood stock that came from the factory on it from being beaten up. I'll start looking for some components along the way. I have some Norma brass and a few Berger 115's I believe already. When I first got the rifle I had a short amount of time before season that year and threw together a few loaded rounds and sighted in the scope that was on it and went hunting. I removed the scope and used it on another rifle and never really messed with it again. I have VX5's on two of my other rifles and an old Zeiss Conquest 3-15 on another and multiple VX2's and VX3's. If you were going to buy a new scope in the 15-20 power range, where would you look first? I'd love to stay under $1,500. I'd also like to stay on the lighter side as far as weight goes too.
I think you are on the right path, as for the scope, just keep shopping around you'll find one soon enough in the price range you want, just have a little patience, all things come to those that, yep... wait. Good luck Cheers

Well you picked the least fun option. ;-( I was interested in following your new hotrod build.

I like my Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21 DMRs in that price range. They are great in the woods (3.5x) and for stretching things out on steel (21x). But, they are not exactly light.

Well you picked the least fun option. ;-( I was interested in following your new hotrod build.

I like my Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21 DMRs in that price range. They are great in the woods (3.5x) and for stretching things out on steel (21x). But, they are not exactly light.
Yes I was looking forward to building a new rifle and I will but it will be down the road a little bit. I never gave this rifle any chance at all so I'm going to work with it and see how it does and then look at something different. I won't be able to shoot any of the long heavies I don't think but I will be able to get some speed with other bullets. I'll check out the Bushnell.

Recent Posts