Which 230 Berger?

I've gotten feed back out to just over a mile on elk hits with the 230 Target and they opened nicely and the insides looked like wreckage, better that a 300 Hunting from an Lapua AI or Edge, IMO. That's why I'm going 30 cal from 338 specifically for elk in the mile plus range, open 30 cal bullets make me happier than closed 338 unless the 338 tumbles then it still makes a decent mess. Been working two years on an optimum legit mile + elk rig without going Cheytac, almost have it nailed down now :D

Me too.
Got the rifle now I need the skills

Not that I have shot any elk with either one but some have said that the OTM's have a thicker jacket and do not expand as well as the target bullets.

This myth was busted a while back. The jacket thickness between the OTM and hybrid target are the same. The only real difference between the bullets is the shape. The updated published BC's are close enough to not matter (.368 G7 for the Hybrid target vs. .364 for the OTM) The true decision is whether someone wants to run their rifle as a repeater or a single shot. The OTM more easily facilitates magazine OAL.

This myth was busted a while back. The jacket thickness between the OTM and hybrid target are the same. The only real difference between the bullets is the shape. The updated published BC's are close enough to not matter (.368 G7 for the Hybrid target vs. .364 for the OTM) The true decision is whether someone wants to run their rifle as a repeater or a single shot. The OTM more easily facilitates magazine OAL.

Thanks for the info
Seekins detachable mag for my rifle. No problem with COAL

Thanks that make me feel a little better that knowing they are the same. I'm have some loaded up with the RL33 at mag length. Going to see how they shoot. At first I just started out loading them way long and had a pretty good load but I hate the single shot thing.

brentc,
Check out the long range only website or better yet the ELK HUNTING string on this sight. You may have to go back a ways to find it but BROZ did a great job with the terminal performance effects and pictures of the game he harvested. Also in regards to our BC changes. Use the new G7 BC of .368 for the 230 grain hybrid target and G7 .364 for the 230 OTM. There were no design changes to our bullets. The only change was better technology that gives us more accurate information on our bullets. The G7 BC is good all the way out. Check out LINES and DESIGNS under the INFORMATION tab on out home page and UPDATE OF BERGER PERFORMANCE DATA in the RECENT POSTS for more information.

According to twist rate calcs the 230 OTM stabilizes easier. It probably doesn't matter with the MVs you guys are getting but I run them in my 10twist 20" .308 so the OTM is the one I have to use........

brentc,
Check out the long range only website or better yet the ELK HUNTING string on this sight. You may have to go back a ways to find it but BROZ did a great job with the terminal performance effects and pictures of the game he harvested.

Understood. I've believe I've read all of the info about the 215 hybrid terminal performance, however, I've never seen Broz, or anyone else for that matter, report expansion problems. The 215 was even described as having more reliable terminal performance than the 210 HVLD. I also know that Broz is extremely thorough on his tip management to ensure maximum terminal performance.

Broz reported going something like 26 and 0 with the 215 target hybrid in his 300 WM so I dont think he had any issues with the bullet. The target bullets leave a small wound channel and left , i believe he described it as a "golf ball sized hole exit wound". With the hunting bullets and their thinner jackets. The front half or so of the bullet slumps over and comes apart AFTER the bullet has penetrated 2-5 inches. The shrapnel caused by this shreds the vitals causing severe hydro-static shock to the animal and usually instant incapacitation. Because of this all the force of the bullet is applied to the animal and rarely do you see "through and through" shots. In most cases what is thought to be an exit wound is actually a part or parts of the bullet jacket exiting. So the Hunting bullets really don't expand per se. With the target bullets I dont believe we have seen on thats been recovered after leaving the animal. I think Broz MAY have a picture of a 215 target he recovered in an animal but its been so long since I read the string I really cant say for sure. At close range these results MAY vary due to excessive velocity.

Thanks that make me feel a little better that knowing they are the same. I'm have some loaded up with the RL33 at mag length. Going to see how they shoot. At first I just started out loading them way long and had a pretty good load but I hate the single shot thing.

Broz reported going something like 26 and 0 with the 215 target hybrid in his 300 WM so I dont think he had any issues with the bullet. The target bullets leave a small wound channel and left , i believe he described it as a "golf ball sized hole exit wound". With the hunting bullets and their thinner jackets. The front half or so of the bullet slumps over and comes apart AFTER the bullet has penetrated 2-5 inches. The shrapnel caused by this shreds the vitals causing severe hydro-static shock to the animal and usually instant incapacitation. Because of this all the force of the bullet is applied to the animal and rarely do you see "through and through" shots. In most cases what is thought to be an exit wound is actually a part or parts of the bullet jacket exiting. So the Hunting bullets really don't expand per se. With the target bullets I dont believe we have seen on thats been recovered after leaving the animal. I think Broz MAY have a picture of a 215 target he recovered in an animal but its been so long since I read the string I really cant say for sure. At close range these results MAY vary due to excessive velocity.[/quote

Might give RL-26 or N570 a try in your ultra.
Not to derail the thread

Broz is the one who suggested I go with the 230 over the 215 because of the velocity.
Which I beleive he is right about.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.