Which 230 Berger?

RH300UM

Which 230 Berger?
Hybrid target or the OTM?
Rifle is used primarily for hunting at LONG range. Elk mostly.
Rifle cartridge pushes 230 hybrid target at 3250 fps.
I would like to hear all points of Veiw.
Rifle has already taken a huge bull at 640 yards with one shot.
Just thinking the OTM might offer some benefits. I am wondering about the ELR expansion though

Not that I have shot any elk with either one but some have said that the OTM's have a thicker jacket and do not expand as well as the target bullets. I think either one is going to do the job due to the amount of weight you are slanging at a animal. If you already have a very good working load then I would not fix what not broken and getting the speed you are making from your rifle leave me envious. I am only getting about 2950 out of my stock RUM with the 230's.

Not that I have shot any elk with either one but some have said that the OTM's have a thicker jacket and do not expand as well as the target bullets. I think either one is going to do the job due to the amount of weight you are slanging at a animal. If you already have a very good working load then I would not fix what not broken and getting the speed you are making from your rifle leave me envious. I am only getting about 2950 out of my stock RUM with the 230's.
That is still hauling a lot of freight!

Rifle is a 30/338 Lapua improved.
I was hoping Broz would chime in on this

The OTM and Target are the same jacket I believe just a little different design on the OTM to get a better over all length for mag feeding. I'm running the Targets in a 30-338 LAI that I'm playing with.

The OTM and Target are the same jacket I believe just a little different design on the OTM to get a better over all length for mag feeding. I'm running the Targets in a 30-338 LAI that I'm playing with.

Bergers website states that the OTM jacket is thicker for severe duty applications.
But I have only educated guesses what effect this has on game at ELR ranges.
Also the design of the OTM is suppose to be a improvement for sub-sonic transition.
Just wondering if anyone has experince with these areas?

RH300UM,
Both the 230 Target and 230 OTM are hybrid bullets and we don't really recommend them as hunting bullets. The 230 OTM was designed for use in the 300 WM sniper system to be loaded to at magazine length. That's why is .060 shorter than the 230 Hybrid Target. So if magazine length is an issue . Use the OTM. Both bullets do well if the twist rate is adequate in the transition to sub sonic but keep in mind that for our hunting bullets we reccomend that the bullet should still be going at least 1800 FPS and apply at least 1100 FT LBS of for at the targets range. Both bullets will also leave a much smaller wound channel than our hunting bullets and MAY result in a "through and through" shot like BROZ has described in another string when he uses the Berger 215 Hybrid target bullet on ELK or Deer.

RH300UM,
Both the 230 Target and 230 OTM are hybrid bullets and we don't really recommend them as hunting bullets. The 230 OTM was designed for use in the 300 WM sniper system to be loaded to at magazine length. That's why is .060 shorter than the 230 Hybrid Target. So if magazine length is an issue . Use the OTM. Both bullets do well if the twist rate is adequate in the transition to sub sonic but keep in mind that for our hunting bullets we reccomend that the bullet should still be going at least 1800 FPS and apply at least 1100 FT LBS of for at the targets range. Both bullets will also leave a much smaller wound channel than our hunting bullets and MAY result in a "through and through" shot like BROZ has described in another string when he uses the Berger 215 Hybrid target bullet on ELK or Deer.

Yep

I don't have to guess what the 230 Target does at retarded ranges to elk :cool:

Retarded?? Me??
Yea I can guess on the bullet at range too☺️

We both know a guy who makes the perfect bullet for the application desribed by me.
I am just gathering all the real info I can.

Try a Cutting Edge 200 grain MTH, or a Hammer 227 grain hunting solids and see what results you get compared to the Berger 230's. will be doing the same in a 300 Norma. All the best!

I've gotten feed back out to just over a mile on elk hits with the 230 Target and they opened nicely and the insides looked like wreckage, better that a 300 Hunting from an Lapua AI or Edge, IMO. That's why I'm going 30 cal from 338 specifically for elk in the mile plus range, open 30 cal bullets make me happier than closed 338 unless the 338 tumbles then it still makes a decent mess. Been working two years on an optimum legit mile + elk rig without going Cheytac, almost have it nailed down now :D

Both bullets will also leave a much smaller wound channel than our hunting bullets and MAY result in a "through and through" shot like BROZ has described in another string when he uses the Berger 215 Hybrid target bullet on ELK or Deer.

Wow. Did Broz really have a through and through with a 215? I've only read about perfect terminal performance from Broz regarding the 215.

I've gotten feed back out to just over a mile on elk hits with the 230 Target and they opened nicely and the insides looked like wreckage, better that a 300 Hunting from an Lapua AI or Edge, IMO. That's why I'm going 30 cal from 338 specifically for elk in the mile plus range, open 30 cal bullets make me happier than closed 338 unless the 338 tumbles then it still makes a decent mess. Been working two years on an optimum legit mile + elk rig without going Cheytac, almost have it nailed down now :D

Which BC do you use at a mile? G1 of .743 (.380 G7) or the newly published G1 .717 (.368 G7)?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.