Which 10x42’s?

gpo1956

I'm looking at binoculars for general hunting (less than 1,000-1,200 yards) and for pleasure. I've looked at the following and can get them for within $100 of each other. Anyone have any standout opinions on any of these?
Kowa Genesis 10.5x44
Meopta Meopro Air 10x42
Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42
Leica Trinovid 10x42
GPO Passion 10x42
Maven B1.2 10x42

Both of my brothers are running the zeiss conquest 10x42. They like them quite well. I looked through them and they seem to be nice. Probably not much help because none of us have ever used any of the others you have listed. Good luck

I run Zeiss Victory 10x42 RF and bought my daughter the Zeiss Terra ED 10x42's. I was amazed at how the Terra ED glass looked especially at the $400 price point. I don't think you can go wrong with the Zeiss Conquests.

I'd check out bird watcher reviews on Vinod in your price range or look through the one available locally. Everyone is different though so ergonomics and controls… even glass quality is going to be subjective within a price point. I run Leica Geovid Pros for my Bino's and a Kowa Spotting scope. I can recommend either brand but Zeiss, Swaro, and the Vortex UHD are all optically great as well. If you have credentials like being former military or a first responder there are usually extra discounts to be had as well with most brands.

I guess the thing is that great optics will always be great. This is an area where it pays not to go too cheap. If you can spend a bit more then do it. Few regret spending a bit more on better optics.

If your budget is under $500 many like the Nikon, Athlon, Carson, or Hawke options.

Under $700 then I'd add Tract, Sig Sauer, and Vortex to the list.

Under $1k gets tricky because for a few hundred more you can add premium options than make a bigger difference so I would look at the ~$700 range unless you can get to the $1200-1500 mark where the Vortex UHD, older Swaro, or Kowa Genesis can be had.

At $2k+ take your pick of Swaro, Leica, or Zeiss. Optically I like Swaro the best but functionally I liked Leica best for Rangefinding binoculars. At this level you're simply nitpicking optics and everything gets subjective. Zeiss is nice too but most of my scopes are a mix of Leica and Swaro so I tend to stick to those brands.

Last edited:
I run Zeiss Victory 10x42 RF and bought my daughter the Zeiss Terra ED 10x42's. I was amazed at how the Terra ED glass looked especially at the $400 price point. I don't think you can go wrong with the Zeiss Conquests.
I bought the Zeiss Terra last year after looking through a guides one day a couple of years ago, used them In Montana this past year and was glassing elk out to 2300 yards. Euro Optic has the orange and black (what I have) for 349.00

I have tried all the big names and always go back to my Leica Geovids in 10 x 42. They just seem to fit my eyes the best. I think you need to try them all out and pick the ones that look best to you. Just because I or anyone else on hear likes a particular brand doesn't mean that you will see the best out of that brand. binoculars are one of the most important parts of the equation for a good solid hunting setup. Buy the best you can afford but make sure they look good to your eyes. Good Luck.