SWFA 10x42

Clndesl

Ok so they have a new mil on mil ss 10x42 coming out that I was thinking about getting but I am curious if anyone has shot long range (1000yds+) and hunted with it. It would be on my custom 300wsm. They make a 12x 16x &20x but I am worried with the higher magnifications it would be hard to hunt with. I mostly shoot long range targets but do go on my annual goat/deer/elk hunts

The 10x42 is going to have the best exit pupil of 4.2. That being said, even at 4.2 I would personally want a scope that gathered light a little better than this for hunting. I am not sure about you, but I often hunt in lower light conditions so when I look for an optic I like to have an exit pupil of at least 5 for these hunting conditions.

I personally would not buy this optic for hunting. Now for target shooting, it would be great.

I have the older SS 10x and a SS 3-9 with the mil-quad reticle. I also could see missing some shooting opportunities with a fixed 10x. (However, I live on the East coast.)

The SS 3-9 would make a great hunting optic. It has much better glass, the reticle is thick enough to pick up in timber and still shoot sub-moa groups, and it has matching reticle and turrets. The reticle also has 1/2 mil hash marks for more precision with holds. I would recommend the lens hood as the scope does have considerable glare without one. I also like the throw lever accessory for this scope, pretty handy for a quick change in mag.

More money than the 10x, but the 3-9 is a noticeable upgrade.

One thing to keep in mind about Exit Pupil is that as you age your eye's ability to USE exit pupil diminishes. A 21 - 28 Y.O. eye could possibly use as much as about 5.5-6.0 E.P. but an eye pushing mid 40's will be lucky to push much past 4.5 E.P. etc.

Another thing to consider is the quality of the optics and their coatings. My IOR 3-18x42 within the last 10 minutes of light or so will allow me to dial in 12-14x and engage a 1 litre bottle filled with red dye at 1000 yards. Try that with a lesser optic, even at 18-20 or so in the last 10 minutes of light even if you have a 56mm objective...

Gary

I was in this same boat about two years ago and decided to buy the 10X for a 300 win mag to hunt with. I have shot it out to 750 on targets and was thrilled with the performance. I took it on all my hunts last year and shot an elk at 725, a deer at 250, another elk at 60, one antelope at 428 and one at 655 (yards). The glass on the fixed power is not awesome but it is good and the scope is durable and performs. I now have three of them on my hunting rifles and love them for hunting.

What about the Millet tre 4x16 50 would this be better for me. I have heard good things about them since bushnell took them over

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.