SWFA 10x42

LanceK

I have been looking a lot at new scopes. This one has really caught my eye. Would I be at a huge dis-advantage to go with a fixed power scope? I like the simplicity of it, and for the money seems like it is hard to do better (correct me if I am wrong). The scope would be mounted on my hunting rifle, which right now is a savage 243. At some time I will move up in gun, and the scope may or may not end up on that gun, time will tell.

So will I regret a fixed power, or is it a good way to get good glass at a reasonable price?

I have a SWFA SS 3 - 15 x 42, FFP, mil/mil and side focus. For the price you absolutely cannot find an equal to it. True, no zero stops, but you can buy a shim kit to lock in your zero. Go to Sniper's Hide and search for the guy to buy it from.

Remember SWFA has NO dealer middlemen and NO advertising so customers get an excellent price. And NOW my same scope is on sale for $499.! ($100. off regular price)

Eric B.

Fixed power is great for simplicity. The SWFA is very rugged.
I'd be weary of using a fixed 10x as a "hunting" scope field of view can be an issue with any critter under 100 yards. Particularly if you have to do a follow up or running shot.

Litehiker, that sounds like a good option, but at twice the cost. Going that high in price opens up a lot of options. I may have to just suck it up and spend that kind of money. Buy once, cry once I guess. How will that one compare to a vortex? I can look through vortex at the local store, not an option for SWFA.

I'm going to put a fixed power on my long range varmint/ target rifle. But a fixed is really at a disadvantage on a big game hunting or closer range varmint rifle.

SWFA SS make really good scopes. Glass is decent, not top shelf as you would expect but pretty darned good. Better by far than a lot of optics in that price region. Very rugged, really good turrets.

I would pony up for a variable if you're going to hunt with it.

Vortex Viper PST v1's had very slightly better glass IMO but the difference is too little to worry about. Not sure about the V2's. Vortex Viper V1's have had less consistently good click consistency but again the difference is minimal and hit and miss from scope to scope. I'd personally go SWFA if those are your options but that's personal preference.

You won't do badly with either a Vortex Viper or a SWFA SS. Either way, qualify the scope with a tall target test to get click values confirmed.

I would go with the weaver tactical
3-10x40 that's on sale for 200$ at Natchez. It's a LOW made scope in Japan. You will not find a better scope for 200$. It doesn't have as much elevation travel as the swfa mainly because it's a 1" tube. But the glass is nicer. I have two, and they track spot on, but that's no surprise being who makes them. I have some SWFAs but it's hard to buy one when these weavers are available. They were originally 399$ at midway and they were worth it...

Last edited:
A 10x could be a reasonable choice for an open country desert or plains rifle however a 6x would likely be more practical and in most cases, plenty of magnification. It just depends on the hunting you do. If your ambush hunting and have a good idea where you'll see game, higher magnification is fine. If you might kick up an animal walking in, you could get a much closer shot and the better field of view on an intermediate magnified scope would be far more practical. There's a very good reason that guys who use a variable power scope, leave it on lower magnification unless they need more.

I had the same thoughts on the 10X SS years ago and now I own several of them, all on rifles I hunt with. The 10x is a 30mm and the field of view is pretty good. I shot a cow elk at 60 yards as it jumped up and ran in the tiber and it was no problem. The 10x is absolutely awesome!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts