Where's the powder?

Center Target in London Ky has some powder. they have it priced at 60 a lb, 429 fo 8 lb and it is sitting on the shelf folks are starting to wake up

My local gun shop has some powder, none of which I use and I don't think most people do. With that said he hasn't had very much in over a year, it's ridiculous that 3 of the items we all need are conveniently in short supply.
I believe that our shortages are on purpose by the powder, bullets, and primer companies. They can manufacture less and get more for their products and I think they have developed that plan for the future.
It's been two years since the shelves were full and the excuses thrown out just don't jive with me. I have been personally told by one of the major bullet companies that they are working, 24x7x365 and IMO if that was the case their bullets would be available. I have seen one of their bullets for sale in the past 2 days but I've signed up for the send me notifications when it's in stock and I got my first one in 3-4 months.
I think we're being played for idiots and the companies have figured out they can make as much money with less overhead and fewer employees than ever before. This is my take, I could be 100% wrong and I hope I am, but to hear them say it's coming, we're making tons of them, etc...is falling on deaf ears now.
I will say that Hornady bullets are in pretty good supply, but it's not a bullet that I've worked up loads with for over 2 decades, maybe it's time to switch brands that are getting their product out there.
I already did! Not only that, they discontinued 4 different bullets that I used to use.....adios My Friend!

Last edited:
Two of my local ranges here in San Antonio TX. have always had powder. Choices went down a little bit but lately they have just about their normal stock. Check the local family run ranges, and stores. We also have a couple of Ranch and Feed stores that have had powders readily available.

Located in Denver

Looking for:

H1000
Federal 215 (2nd choice) or 215M (preferred)
Winchester WLRM's (3rd choice)

Have:

H4350
Retumbo
Varget
H4831
IMR7828
RL19
RL22
and several others

Also

Pistol and small rifle primers

Last edited:
I used to work in the firearms dept at Cabelas. They get powder and primers on a pretty regular basis unfortunately once it's on the shelf hoarders grab as much as they can leaving nothing for others. We used to have people waiting at the door when we opened who came back to see what ammo, primers and powder we got in that day. Open at 9am everything gone by 10am. It was the same people there every day. Like someone mentioned earlier, you have to be right there when it comes available or you have lost. Right there can mean as little as 5 minutes. Get on the wait list at Midway, you get notified at 6am, don't see the email until 7am an you are already too late. The only thing I can say is that everyone should cooperate and leave something for someone else.
Never ever has any retailer sent me an in stock notice, even though I signed up many times at first.

In stock emails from the store is futile. They know it too.

I have found some powders locally at $15 to $20 per pound higher than pre Biden. They had CCI Large Rifle Primers at $16.99 per hundred. I have enough loaded ammo to last me about 10 years of hunting, but not enough for range shooting. I don't want to pay these prices, so I guess I will wait and hope for better times.

We see these things. We still buy as much powder as we can get with in reason on the variety of powders. Use mostly to help out other shooters that can't travel. We get it for them and also get powders that are good for trading. zzzzzwe my not use it but someone else does. we have a supply to help out
Would love to be back 15 years ago and have a friend call me from Tunnel Hill, GA and say "Hey Len pick me up a couple of jugs of H4350or h4895.when the GS show coms to ATL. I would say sure and then the prices started going up from $120 for a 8lb jug to $147 them to $180 in six months time. Mountain people get ********ed real fact. but had to pay. That was the Clinton era. Man when Obabnan got on there was none to be had.
DARN SHAME the downfall of legal hunting & Shooting.
Next started the :HOARDING ERA: I will refrain from what occurred the next 20 years up until currently 2022.
We just say God bless those need blessing. We always posted that if You are in need of components for hunting shooting ,comp/match. We will try to help you but within reason. Don't really like to sell/buy unless last resort and can't make a trade. AS LONG AS IT IS A VERY RAIR DEAL BETWEEN BOTH PARTIES.. We would never make a powder primer/trade unless both parties were satisfied. sometimes one party gets more sometimes less as long as everyone is happy the deal goes through. the next deal could be totally different & Better.
We never had an unsatisfied deal. Everything is up front before we leave our houses Both parties may pick up extra items along the way and could make the deal better.
Well longstory short if we can help anyone out let us know. Did a good job traveling through FL, SC. AL, NC. GA. Tn. MS and AR. This was for powder & Primers. Sending and receiving Brass & bullets and AMMO is a whole different story. We shipped and received bullets, bras ammo from dozens of the United States. My UPS Person, which was the same one 98% of the time would use his hand truck and specifically ask me where I wanted the packages stored he knew about my neck issues. they all know that I am a Vet and also that it was mostly reloading equipment to make AMMO.
If we have something that you need for a hunt or a match we would be glad to just give the components to you. In the future and you are lucky enough to get the same components back in stock please send us back what you received and also remember to "Pass it Along"
Coyote!!! You are to be commended for this type of operation. Share the wealth so to speak. The problem is that you are the guy in a WHITE HAT when there are more bandits than you can shake a big stick wearing BLACK HATS. Cabelas never marked up whatever we had available. Prices were manufacturers suggested retail ever since this started and have remained that way. While I no longer work there, Cabelas and Bass Pro also wore White Hats. That point was driven home repeatedly. There was one (of many) online companies that was selling 9mm target ammo for $59.95 a box of 50. That same exact ammo on our shelves when we had it was $12.99. The same goes for powder and primers, ours at MSRP the others at price gouging prices. The price gouging still remains in most of the Online World. As for the ammo, primers and powders that were being bought in never before number I was seeing them showing up in online auctions or sometimes notes on the bulletin boards at some gun clubs for sale at ridiculously high prices. Those who were doing this were no more than legal thieves. As for the manufacturers. I can pretty much testify to this. When Covid hit everyone panicked shutting down whole industries either individually or because their suppliers had shut down so there were no raw products available to make whatever they made, thus shutting them down. Cabelas/Bass Pro usually have warehouses full of our beloved ammo as well as primer and powders. Shortly after this fiasco began and the panic buying began these warehouses started emptying out simply because people were buying but manufacturers were not manufacturing. The orders to refill the warehouses were honored until there was nothing left in our suppliers nor the manufacturers warehouses. The shelves were bare all the way back to the manufacturers. When production started back up, which was slowly the backlog was mind boggling and still is. The products that they started turning out were the one's that were best sellers or military related. That's why 5.56/223 and 7.62/308 ammo were the first on the shelves. As time moved on one started seeing different calibers show up in limited numbers on the shelves, again related to the cartridges popularity, 270, 30-06 and 300 Win Mag. On the handgun side it was 9mm and 45ACP showing up first. .22LR was slightly behind this. Others will be coming along the way, I would guess 7mm Rem will be one of the next but those wanting 6.5 Creedmoor or any of the PRC's which were never big sellers to begin with it will take even longer. Another consideration is that there are only so many powder manufacturing plants and pretty much all of the ammo manufacturers use them then blend them to make their secret special powders. Only a few powder manufacturers now having to make powder for everyone who is screaming loudly for it. There are only so many hours in a day and only so much that can be manufactured with existing equipment. It is of course the manufacturers who get priority leaving us poor reloaders waiting in the shadows for them to kick a bit out to us. Again it is getting better as the industry heals itself. After all it is a business and they are going to do what is best which is manufacturing their best sellers first. ;)

Coyote!!! You are to be commended for this type of operation. Share the wealth so to speak. The problem is that you are the guy in a WHITE HAT when there are more bandits than you can shake a big stick wearing BLACK HATS. Cabelas never marked up whatever we had available. Prices were manufacturers suggested retail ever since this started and have remained that way. While I no longer work there, Cabelas and Bass Pro also wore White Hats. That point was driven home repeatedly. There was one (of many) online companies that was selling 9mm target ammo for $59.95 a box of 50. That same exact ammo on our shelves when we had it was $12.99. The same goes for powder and primers, ours at MSRP the others at price gouging prices. The price gouging still remains in most of the Online World. As for the ammo, primers and powders that were being bought in never before number I was seeing them showing up in online auctions or sometimes notes on the bulletin boards at some gun clubs for sale at ridiculously high prices. Those who were doing this were no more than legal thieves. As for the manufacturers. I can pretty much testify to this. When Covid hit everyone panicked shutting down whole industries either individually or because their suppliers had shut down so there were no raw products available to make whatever they made, thus shutting them down. Cabelas/Bass Pro usually have warehouses full of our beloved ammo as well as primer and powders. Shortly after this fiasco began and the panic buying began these warehouses started emptying out simply because people were buying but manufacturers were not manufacturing. The orders to refill the warehouses were honored until there was nothing left in our suppliers nor the manufacturers warehouses. The shelves were bare all the way back to the manufacturers. When production started back up, which was slowly the backlog was mind boggling and still is. The products that they started turning out were the one's that were best sellers or military related. That's why 5.56/223 and 7.62/308 ammo were the first on the shelves. As time moved on one started seeing different calibers show up in limited numbers on the shelves, again related to the cartridges popularity, 270, 30-06 and 300 Win Mag. On the handgun side it was 9mm and 45ACP showing up first. .22LR was slightly behind this. Others will be coming along the way, I would guess 7mm Rem will be one of the next but those wanting 6.5 Creedmoor or any of the PRC's which were never big sellers to begin with it will take even longer. Another consideration is that there are only so many powder manufacturing plants and pretty much all of the ammo manufacturers use them then blend them to make their secret special powders. Only a few powder manufacturers now having to make powder for everyone who is screaming loudly for it. There are only so many hours in a day and only so much that can be manufactured with existing equipment. It is of course the manufacturers who get priority leaving us poor reloaders waiting in the shadows for them to kick a bit out to us. Again it is getting better as the industry heals itself. After all it is a business and they are going to do what is best which is manufacturing their best sellers first. ;)
Not really following the analogy that I am the "WHITE HAT". Hope that's good. We just try to help other shooters out as much as we can. Been there running low on components and was really lucky to have others help us out. Just trying to "Pay it Forward" when possible.
Thnaks
Len & Jill

Last year everyone was badmouthing gunbroker but I went ahead and paid the outrageously high price and got three 8 pound jugs of H4350 for $375 each including shipping. Guess it's all relative.

GB on one pound of H 1000 current bid at 140!
649 for 8 pounds of H4350. That is a bit high but people are bidding. I sure hope something happens to place more powder on the local shelves. I might find myself in a bid. I have been working on a new build so it could be me throwing good money into a scalper's pocket?

GB on one pound of H 1000 current bid at 140!
649 for 8 pounds of H4350. That is a bit high but people are bidding. I sure hope something happens to place more powder on the local shelves. I might find myself in a bid. I have been working on a new build so it could be me throwing good money into a scalper's pocket?
I think that people that put these crazy bids on GB do not have any idea of what they are doing and definitely do not, have not, any shooting friends or involved in a network like LRH. If you are a hunter then you could always use a substitute powder to get you by. If you are shooting competition and almost out of powder - Where are your shooting friends? Most people I know in the comp world will help out a fellow shooter.
Maybe these crazy bids are being done by the people selling to get the price up.
If someone came to us and said that they are in a real bind & need powder bad, then said they would give us $140 a pound to be able to shoot. We would just give the powder to them and wish them luck.
There has to something wrong if a person can't find help from fellow shooters in their area.