Where is the Best spot to shoot a brown bear on there body ?

Did a brown bear hunt in June. My friend and I each used a .375 H&H. He used a Nosler 260 Gr. Partition and I used a 300 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Both one shot kills at 110 yds. His broke the shoulder going in and did not exit the other side. Mine was just behind the shoulder and did exit the opposite side in the crease. His went about 10 yds. Mine went about 30 yds. My previous interior grizzly was with a .338 Win. Mag. 250 gr. Partitions. About 150 yds. First shot knocked it down and was a killing shot, but shot it again in the neck area to be sure.

35 sambar huh? I didn't realize that 35-300 wsm was a popular enough wildcat to get its own name haha. Would that perform pretty similar to the .358 Norma? I have a .358 Norma, if I ever do get the chance to hunt Kodiak or critters like that it's what I'm bringing. 28 inch 12 twist, have chronoed 280 grain swift A FRAMES at around 2800 fps. Should smash bones I'd think.
That was the name given to the wildcat here in Oz by the guy that designed the reamer. It's a thumper and would mirror the performance of the 358 Norma. The 280g would be an excellent choice.

Cheers.

I have killed a couple black bears and always shot them about 1" behind and 1" below the base of their ear. Around the swamps you always wanted to drop them.

Sent out a few texts to friends who've done the guide thing decades, kinda curios their direct responses.

I've only shot problem bears, all facing me usually coming in a structure. Dunno exactly how many I've seen shot, have to think back on it. Kinda not as useful data as problem bears aren't usually shot like hunting bears. I've only hunted bears with folks more experienced than me and it never came up in the conversation.

Kinda weird growing up with them, never really ever felt the need or desire to hunt them. Mainly because the problem bears were such a pita to deal with.

Broadside exposure, I feel the lungs provide the largest lethal target.

Seems a lot of bear guides prefer their clients aim for shoulders, to break/bring the bear down where it's hit. Allowing for additional follow-up shots to the finish the bear off while it's out in open terrain. Which are often necessary, because shoulder shots don't always damage vital organs. Of course the guides are also blazing away after your first shot, so they don't have to follow the bear into the brush to retrieve it. Can't blame them... I'd probably have the same preference if I was a guide, having to clean up after my clientele. Some of which can shoot... some which can't. I think the guides prefer the shoulders because if their client's shot is bad, they get instant notification. If the bear doesn't struggle to stay afoot after the client's first shot, they know it's time to pour in more lead.

When I hunt by myself or with a buddy, I aim just behind their shoulders, waiting for broadside shot profiles. Same as I would if archery hunting. Last Kodiak bear I shot trotted less than 40yds after shot behind his shoulders. Some lung-shot bears have dropped dead in their tracks. None traveled far, if the bullet expanded properly while traveling thru their lungs.

My experiences are with 338 caliber bullets traveling at healthy speeds. From 338 Edge and Lapua - Improved class cartridges.

Last edited:
My only experience is with black bear, so browns may be a whole different ball game. My friend is an avid bear hunter and he suggested high shoulder shot, as that's what he's done on 35+ bear. I hit mine to 2/3 of the shoulder with a 300 win at 350 and it flopped hard, rolled and died within 30 seconds. Too high could certainly cause issues as has been stated, but the high shoulder for my friend has been a reliable killer for years.